Cannot Access E-Mail After Security Update

Old January 14th 06, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
J-Man

Default Cannot Access E-Mail After Security Update

Outlook 2003

I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge Base
892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails. I checked all
of the settings and nothing seems to have changed. What gives?

Old January 14th 06, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In ink.net,
J-Man typed:
Outlook 2003

I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails. I
checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed. What
gives?

What error messages do you get?

Old January 14th 06, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
J-Man

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
ahoo.com wrote in message

In ink.net,
J-Man typed:
Outlook 2003

I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails. I
checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed. What
gives?

What error messages do you get?

No error messages in Outlook; it just hangs and never finishes accessing the
e-mail. When I try to do "test settings" in the account setup section, all
the tests (except the first one for finding the connection) fail, and the
error messages are all of the "the server was found, but there was no
response from the server."

Old January 14th 06, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
J-Man

"J-Man" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
ahoo.com wrote in
message ...

In ink.net,
J-Man typed:
Outlook 2003

I ran and installed the most recent security update (see Knowledge
Base 892843); ever since, I can no longer send or receive e-mails. I
checked all of the settings and nothing seems to have changed. What
gives?

What error messages do you get?

No error messages in Outlook; it just hangs and never finishes accessing
the e-mail. When I try to do "test settings" in the account setup
section, all the tests (except the first one for finding the connection)
fail, and the error messages are all of the "the server was found, but
there was no response from the server."

After MUCH trial and error, I think I've figured out where the problem is:
Norton Firewall. After installing the Outlook security update, the first
time I tried to access Outlook, Norton asked me if I wanted to permit
Outlook to access the internet. Although I let it do so, it seems to not
want to let e-mails through. When I turn off the Firewall, it works fine.
Similarly it works fine with Windows Firewall turned on, and Norton off.

I wish Symantec would get their act together. Between this and the problems
LiveUpdate caused me last week, I'm more than ready to permanently ditch any
Symantec products.

Old January 14th 06, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In ink.net,
J-Man typed:
"J-Man" wrote in message
[...]

I have, long ago. I'm just sad they bought Veritas....they'll soon destroy
BackupExec.

Old January 16th 06, 04:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
pc-wiz

I have the exact same problem as J-Man. Unfortunately the solution
that worked for him (turning off Norton firewall) does not apply to me
since I do not have any Norton software. After seeing his message I
turned off the Windows firewall but that makes no difference. I can
retrieve messages in Outlook Express and then import them into Outlook
2003 but that is getting really tedious. Thanks for any ideas.

Old January 16th 06, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

J-Man wrote:

After MUCH trial and error, I think I've figured out where the
problem is: Norton Firewall. After installing the Outlook security
update, the first time I tried to access Outlook, Norton asked me if
I wanted to permit Outlook to access the internet. Although I let it
do so, it seems to not want to let e-mails through. When I turn off
the Firewall, it works fine. Similarly it works fine with Windows
Firewall turned on, and Norton off.

Some of the updates to Outlook install a new OUTLOOK.EXE image. Any
firewall (including WIndows', I believe, but certainly ones like Kerio,
Sygate, and Zone Alarm) would see a new image as a new program. They don't
rely solely on the image name to determine whether or not the image should
be treated as an exception. So, when you install a new version of a
program, you must re-add it as an exception, possibly removing the old
version of the image that will still be listed in the exception list.

I wish Symantec would get their act together. Between this and the
problems LiveUpdate caused me last week, I'm more than ready to
permanently ditch any Symantec products.

The number of errors reported in the Outlook newsgroups alone have convinced
me that I'll never use a Symantec product.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 16th 06, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
pc-wiz

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not running any firewall other
than Windows now (and the hardware firewall in the DSL router). I got
rid of ZoneAlarm awhile back after the upgrade from free version to Pro
turned out to be a disaster.

I was able to fix the problem just now by uninstalling the Outlook
security update. I just found out that if you check the "Show Updates"
box at the top of the Add/Remove Programs list, then Office updates (at
least some of them) will be shown and can be removed individually. The
uninstall went fine and immediately solved the problem. Thanks again
for your response.