Outlook XP "Out of Memory" problem - help

Old April 5th 06, 06:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Carol Haynes

Default Outlook XP "Out of Memory" problem - help

I have started to get "Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows
or programs and try again." error when I run Outlook XP. It seems to
particularly affect loading NOD32 EMON module but it also affects some other
things (like I can't open Custom Forms from the options menu).

I am not out of memory (currently I have over 300Mb of memory free and about
1Gb of Paged memory free) - I have even tried using MSCONFIG to disable all
startup items and all non-MS services and the problem still occurs.

The MS KB suggests using Detect and Repair on Office which I have done
numerous times, I have also uninstalled NOD32 and reinstalled from scratch.
Nothing seems to make any difference.

I am also finding that Outlook is using a lot of CPU (over 30% almost
constantly even when it is doing nothing). Also typing and scrolling are
pausing every few seconds (and then catch up) - this doesn't seem to affect
any other apps on my system.

Anyone got any idea how to fix this as it is driving me mad. The only
partial solution I have at the moment is to disable NOD32's EMON plugin (at
least then I don't get constant popup error windows to close), but it
doesn't completely fix the problem.

I am using Windows XP SP2 with MS Office XP (all updates have been done from
Windows/Office update).

Outlook has the following plugins:

Outclass (driving POPfile)
SnagIT (Screen grabber)
Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 (extension menu)
NOD32 plugin

Apart from Acrobat 7 I have been using all these plugins for the last couple
of years with no problems whatsoever.

TIA

Carol

Old April 6th 06, 06:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nikki

NOD32... Is this a virus program of some sort?

I usually do not use an email checker if I have good desktop protection.

Have you tried turning down your virus guy on your email or does this
thought bother you?

Nikki

Old April 6th 06, 12:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Carol Haynes

"Nikki" wrote in message
NOD32... Is this a virus program of some sort?

I usually do not use an email checker if I have good desktop protection.

Have you tried turning down your virus guy on your email or does this
thought bother you?

Hi Nikki

Yes, NOD32 is a realtime virus scanning application that can be set to
automatically scan incoming POP based email.

I prefer to have emails virus checked. The strange thing is that I have been
using this combination for at least two years without any sort of problem.
The only thing I can see that has changed is that I installed Acrobat 7 Pro
which added various buttons and toolbars. I have disabled this (by deleting
the addin registry entry) but it didn't make a difference.

Cheers

Carol

Old April 6th 06, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Carol Haynes wrote:

I prefer to have emails virus checked.

Maybe so, but it doesn't protect you any more and can often lead to problems
in mail programs.

The strange thing is that I
have been using this combination for at least two years without any
sort of problem.

That doesn't mean some automatic update to either Outlook or the AV program
won't introduce issues.

The only thing I can see that has changed is that I
installed Acrobat 7 Pro which added various buttons and toolbars. I
have disabled this (by deleting the addin registry entry) but it
didn't make a difference.

Did you try uninstalling Acrobat entirely to see if it made a difference?
--
Brian Tillman

Old April 6th 06, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Carol Haynes

The strange thing is that I
have been using this combination for at least two years without any
sort of problem.

That doesn't mean some automatic update to either Outlook or the AV
program won't introduce issues.

I don't apply updates automatically to Office or Windows, I always look and
see what is being offered. I can't remember any Outlook XP patches in recent
memory and the current issues is quite recent. As far as I can tell the AV
program hasn't been updated recently either (just virus sigs).

The only thing I can see that has changed is that I
installed Acrobat 7 Pro which added various buttons and toolbars. I
have disabled this (by deleting the addin registry entry) but it
didn't make a difference.

Did you try uninstalling Acrobat entirely to see if it made a difference?

No - trouble is it is part of Creative Suite and can't be uninstalled and
reinstalled easily without have to uninstall everything. Removing it from
the Outlook addin registry key sytopped it loading at all (and this is the
recommended way of getting rid of it on Adobe's forums too). I have also
remove NOD32 completely from my computer without any obvious effect on
Outlook's behaviour (other than I don't get the error messages poppong up -
it still pauses while you are typing or using the mouse every few seconds
and uses a lot of CPU time.

I have also tried deleting extend.dat and outcmd.dat to force outlook to
reset its preferences and run the PST repair tool to check my Personal
Folders file isn't corrupt.

Carol

Old April 8th 06, 12:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Carol Haynes

Found the problem - I have Outclass bar (which I have used now for years)
which interfaces with POPfile. If I remove Outclass my CPU usage drops to
0,1 or 2% and everything works fine.

I can't work out why Outclass should suddenly start behaving like this but
it does - even when there are no extra plugins installed (ie. Adobe/NOD32
etc are completely removed).

I have tried uninstalling Outclass and POPfile completely (including all my
POPfile corpus files) and then reinstalling from scratch but as soon as any
version of Outclass is present my Outlook CPU usage jumps above 40% and
stays there (increasing to 100% whenever I do anythin in Outlook).

Has anyone any ideas how I could fix this as Outclass and POPfile are my
preferred SPAM filtering system in OutlookXP?

Thanks

Carol

Old April 8th 06, 04:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nikki

Thank you for sharing this information. I am not familiar with "Outclass
bar".
However, I'll see what I can dig up on it.