Delete Bodies and Compact does not free HD space

Old February 3rd 10, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Default Delete Bodies and Compact does not free HD space

I wonder why my own machine doesn't do that... .. .. .. ..

From your message headers:

Perhaps because you are running a very old and less secure version of OE?
Visit Windows Updates ASAP and at the very least, install the critical
ones. You're about four years behind. (Not even counting SP#).
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jess Fertudei" wrote in message
And there I was looking all through the application data for him...
oops

I wonder why my own machine doesn't do that... .. .. .. ..

"Bruce Hagen" wrote in message
When you compact, a copy of your files is sent to the Recycle Bin as a
back up. "just in case". Assuming all messages in OE are as you wish,
check and empty the Recycle Bin.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]
Imperial Beach, CA

"Jess Fertudei" wrote in message
A family member's XP sp2 box was getting low on space on it's C drive.
It was down to 1.64 G free and I noticed that he had 1.2 G of train
shots in a rail group. I did a delete bodies and then compacted. The
thing took forever as it copied files to somewhere that I did not take
note of as I thought it would be a backup that would delete afterward.

After a shut down and reboot I expected to see 1.2 + 1.64 for about
2.8Gigs free, give or take... instead, he now has 1.42G free.

SIGH

A search for .bak on the drive found nothing and no files look
particularly large that I see... so I must not be looking very well.

Where do I look for whatever I need to nuke?