To free disk space, OE can compact massage, this can take a few mi

Old May 31st 08, 10:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meehailam

Default To free disk space, OE can compact massage, this can take a few mi

The "To free disk space, OE can...." massage pop up every 10 seconds to
remind me about it and it is so annoying for the fact that I don't even use
OE at all, not even once! I am running WinXP Media Center with SP3, I don't
have this problem previously with SP2. Can some please advice how to disable
it, or provide some guide on how to uninstall it (if forced to).

Thanks.
Old May 31st 08, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Have you installed Windows Desktop Search?

Apparently, if its set to index OE, it invisibly opens and closes OE
every few minutes in order to the index the OE message store. After 100
open/closes OE will start prompting you about compacting.

Old May 31st 08, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meehailam

Default To free disk space, OE can compact massage, this can take a fe

Hi,

I had tried it, and it only stop for a short period (say 10-20 minutes) and
then it will come out again. The fact that I do not use OE at all doesn't
help, there is nothing to compact!

Thanks for replying.

"mikey" wrote:

why not just let it compact the data base.

while it is working do not use the computer.

Old May 31st 08, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meehailam

Hi,

Not sure about that, how do I check if I did installed WDS? and if I did
installed it (actually it is my wife's computer) how do I solve this problem?
Thanks for advice.

Mee

Old May 31st 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I don't use it, but look in the Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. I
imagine it would be there.

If you are not using OE and do not plan on using it in the near future, try
the following to stop the prompt:

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Add/Remove Windows Components. Uncheck
Outlook Express, reboot and test it.

If that does not do it, or you already disabled OE in Add/Remove Windows
Components, re-enable it. Delete any and all identities and message stores.
Restart your computer and disable OE again.

To get to the identities & message store folders:

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

Then follow this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\Long string of letters and numbers\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Delete the Outlook Express folder and then back up to the identity and
delete it.

Repeat if you have more identities.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old June 1st 08, 12:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

In addition to Michael's question about Windows Desktop Search, your answers
to the following question will help us to diagnose the problem:

= Is Windows Live Mail installed? Has it ever been installed?

= Has anyone ever used Outlook Express on this machine?

= Is Outlook Express enabled in Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
| Add/Remove Windows Components?

= Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

= What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
(if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed WinXP
SP3?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old June 1st 08, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meehailam

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestion. I followed the instruction and done all
suggested, but the OE still coming back to haunt me altough I had already
disable it and deleted the identities folder (after rebooting the identity
folder seems to recreate again). And the prompt still coming out as usual.

Any other idea?

Old June 1st 08, 01:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Meehailam

Hi PA Bear,

Below is my reponse to your Qs:

= Is Windows Live Mail installed? Has it ever been installed?

I don't remember installing this and don't see any program on the program
list.

= Has anyone ever used Outlook Express on this machine?

I don't think so as we all only use web based mail through IE (yahoo,
hotmail, lycos).

= Is Outlook Express enabled in Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs
| Add/Remove Windows Components?

It was enable before this, but before replying to you, I had it disabled as
per suggestion by Bruce Hagen.

= Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

Via Windows Update.

= What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
(if any)? Were any of these applications running when you installed WinXP
SP3?

Running Norton Antivirus 2006. No anti-spyware installed. Using Kerio
Personal Firewall 4. I think only the Norton is running when I update the
SP3. The pc has recently had it hard drive failed, so I bought a new hd and
reinstall from recovery cd (which the Norton came as bundle) and straigth
away doing XP updates. Only then I install the firewall and Office 2003.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

I am thinking what if I can roll back my system to before Office 2003
installation and then reinstall Office but leaving out the OE, will it help?
(I am not good at system configuration - just a application users, so bear
with me if I suggested something stupid).

Thanks.
Mee

Old June 1st 08, 06:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Running Norton Antivirus 2006. No anti-spyware installed. Using Kerio
Personal Firewall 4. I think only the Norton is running when I update the
SP3. The pc has recently had it hard drive failed, so I bought a new hd
and
reinstall from recovery cd (which the Norton came as bundle) and straigth
away doing XP updates.

1. Is your NAV 2006 subscription current and can you successfully check for
& install updates manually via Live Update?

2. The fact that NAV (and, possibly, Kerio) was enabled when you installed
SP3 /may/ have caused this behavior. See...

Steps to take before you install WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

NAV & WinXP SP3
http://windowssecrets.com/2008/05/29...Windows-XP-SP3
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33522

I am thinking what if I can roll back my system to before Office 2003
installation and then reinstall Office but leaving out the OE, will it
help?

No. Outlook Express is part and parcel of Windows and has nothing whatsoever
to do with MS Office or Outlook (despite the name).

Mo

= Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Mail: Is Outlook 2003 (already) selected here?

= Is there a NEWS button anywhere on your Outlook Command Bar (toolbar)?

= IE Tools | Internet Options | Programs | Newsgroups: Is this blank or
does it say Outlook Express? [NB: Don't select Outlook Express if it's not
already selected, just look & tell me what you find.]
--

Meehailam wrote:
Hi PA Bear,

Below is my reponse to your Qs:

= Is Windows Live Mail installed? Has it ever been installed?

I don't remember installing this and don't see any program on the program
list.

= Has anyone ever used Outlook Express on this machine?

I don't think so as we all only use web based mail through IE (yahoo,
hotmail, lycos).

= Is Outlook Express enabled in Start | Control Panel | Add/Remove
Programs
Add/Remove Windows Components?

It was enable before this, but before replying to you, I had it disabled
as
per suggestion by Bruce Hagen.

= Did you install WinXP SP3 via Windows Update or manually?

Via Windows Update.

= What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
firewall