free up disk space, outlook Express can compact messages

Old October 29th 08, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JWHData

Default free up disk space, outlook Express can compact messages

How do I stop this message from popping up every few minutes

"free up disk space, outlook Express can compact messages"

I don't even have Outlook Express installed
Old October 29th 08, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after 100
closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be and even if
you are not using OE.

There is a growing number of programs and actions that may be causing this
after installing SP3. Do you have any of the following?

IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL
Windows Desktop Search
Window Live Mail (even if it was removed)
Mailwasher
Nero plug-in(s)

Opening EML files while OE is closed will also contribute to the registry
count.

Various anti-virus, anti-spyware and third party firewalls, especially if
they were running when you installed SP3.

Recent archived thread discussing this issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f

In the case of Windows Desktop Search, (the #1 offender), you have to tell
it to stop indexing OE.

Windows Desktop Search. Set Desktop Search Options:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/w...h/options.mspx

In the case of Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 here.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero...oScout_Enu.pdf

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to add
these file types:

..eml, .dbx & .nws
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old October 29th 08, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

See this fairly recent discussion about this WinXP SP3-specific problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f

For reference, here's a list of things which are known to cause this
behavior (which is NOT being seen by the vast majority of OE users):

• Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
• Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
• Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
• Any/all of the above running when WinXP SP3 was installed;
• IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
• Nero plug-in(s);
• Windows (Desktop) Search is installed [FIX: Uninstall it or disable
indexing of OE data];
• Windows Live Mail is or had been installed;
• Disk defragmentation, need for;
• Using Visual Basic DoCmd.SendObject command to create an email;
• Using any number third-party applications (e.g., accounting software) to
send emails by via Outlook Express;
• MailWasher; and/or
• Programatically opening EML files while OE is closed (e.g., creating a
New Message via Address Book).
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old October 29th 08, 11:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JWHData

Thanks to both of you who replied.

Just an update based on your responses..

This problem only came to light in the last week and during that time I
haven't added any software although I have installed Windows updates
(Critical only) and AVG updates.

Although Outlook Express was installed by default when Windows XP was
installed, I never used it and uninstalled it as soon as the popups started.
One strange thing however is that whenever I try and delete the Outlook
Express folder under Documents and settings it is recreated faster than I can
delete it.

The only Antivirus software that I run is AVG Free, and the only Sptware
application is Spybot 1.6.
I do not utilise a 3rd party firewall, IBM Rapid Access keyboard driver,
Windows Live Mail, MailWasher, etc,

I do however have Nero 7 installed and will uninstall it to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestions

Old October 30th 08, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

You might also try disabling email scanning with AVG (I think you have to
uninstall it and then reinstall it with that option disabled) and see if
that makes a difference.

steve

news

Old November 1st 08, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JWHData

Thanks for the assistance. The problem was definitly Nero Scout. I haven't
had a popup since I removed it.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

YW. Repost

In the case of Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 here.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero...oScout_Enu.pdf

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to add
these file types:

..eml, .dbx & .nws
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

news

Old November 1st 08, 04:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback to the newsgroup.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"JWHData" wrote in message
Thanks for the assistance. The problem was definitly Nero Scout. I haven't
had a popup since I removed it.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

YW. Repost

In the case of Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 here.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero...oScout_Enu.pdf

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to
add
these file types:

..eml, .dbx & .nws
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

news

Old November 10th 08, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
simbo99

Hi all,

I stumbled across this thread via Google as I too *was* suffering/
plagued by the same prob & finally got around to trying to solve it.

I've never (knowingly?!) used Outlook Express or Outlook on this PC...

Anyway, this worked for me... I deleted the entire contents of:

C:\Documents and Settings\my user name\Local Settings\Application Data
\Identities\random numbers and letters\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The above method won't be a solution for anyone who actually uses OE
though as it will no doubt delete all your emails.

...may help someone, some day though?!

Byeee,

Simeon

Maybe a 'sledge hammer to crack a nut'.... but it worked for me )On
Oct 29, 4:00*am, JWHData wrote:
How do I stop this message from popping up every few minutes

"free up disk space, outlook Express can compact messages"

snip
Old November 10th 08, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

That is good to know. Note that if you open Outlook Express, all those files
will be recreated, so don't do that.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express