OE Free Up Disk Space message - repeats frequently

Old September 7th 09, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Larry

Default OE Free Up Disk Space message - repeats frequently

I am an Outlook 2007 user. I do NOT use Outlook Express. I have Win XP 2002
SP3.

Each time I start or restart my laptop within a few minutes I get a a
message from Outlook express stating that I need to freeup disk space by
compacting data. I do not compact data. I want to get rid of this message.
I have reviewed many, many discussions on this topic. I noticed that this
problem dates back over a year; I have not seen a response from Microsoft
stating they have fixed the problem.

I am not a technical person and do not want to try a bunch of things that
might work. Anyone have experience in getting rid of the message? If yes,
please send me your solution.

Thanks,

Old September 7th 09, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

All development of Outlook Express ceased in June, 2006. Nothing will ever
be fixed, but your problem is a conflicting program.

Have you let it compact? If you don't use OE, it can't hurt anything.

The problem is with the registry counter that gives you the prompt after 100
closings of OE. It is being increased quicker than it should be and even if
you are not using OE.

There is a growing number of programs and actions that may be causing this
after installing SP3. Do you have any of the following?

IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL
Windows {Desktop} Search
Mailwasher
Nero plug-in(s)

Opening EML files while OE is closed will also contribute to the registry
count.

Various anti-virus, anti-spyware and third party firewalls, especially if
they were running when you installed SP3.

Archived thread discussing this issue in June 2008:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f

In the case of Windows Desktop Search, (the #1 offender), you have to tell
it to stop indexing OE.

Windows {Desktop} Search. Set Desktop Search Options:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/w...h/options.mspx

In Windows {Desktop} Search: Control Panel | Indexing Options. Click: Modify
and clear the check box for Outlook Express.

In the case of Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 here.
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero...oScout_Enu.pdf

In the option to exclude selected file types from indexing, be sure to add
these file types:

..eml, .dbx & .nws
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

Old September 7th 09, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

See this June 2008 discussion about this WinXP SP3-specific problem:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d35fbfa457fd6f

For reference, here's a current list of items known to cause this behavior
(which is NOT being seen by the vast majority of OE users) in "most often
seen" order

• Nero plug-in(s) including Nero Scout*;
• Windows (Desktop) Search is installed
[FIX: Uninstall the application or CONTROL PANEL | INDEXING OPTIONS |
MODIFY | Clear the check box for Outlook Express files (i.e., EML, NWS, &
DBX files)];
• IBM Rapid Access keyboard (driver) RAKDLL.DLL;
• Various & sundry anti-virus applications (including Norton);
• Various & sundry anti-spyware applications;
• Various & sundry third-party firewalls;
• Any/all of the above running when WinXP SP3 was installed;
• Disk defragmentation, need for;
• Using Visual Basic DoCmd.SendObject command to create an email;
• Using any number third-party applications (e.g., accounting software;
FileMaker 6) to send emails by via Outlook Express;
• MailWasher; and/or
• Programatically opening EML files while OE is closed (e.g., creating a
New Message via Address Book).

* IN RE Nero Scout, see Item 2.3 on page 8 he
ftp://ftp6.nero.com/user_guides/nero...oScout_Enu.pdf

Also see http://www.nero.com/eng/support-faq.html?s=sub&t=Scout

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com