Dividing Group

Old April 24th 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken

Default Dividing Group

Hi Joy,

Here is another way to get typed group names into the address book.

What I am going to suggest is to create a email message, put your group in
the "To" or "BCC" then save the message to drafts folder (on File menu
choose Save).

Open the message in draft folder, notice "To" or "BCC" displays all your
group addresses.

Right click each name, choose Properties, in Properties dialog window click
Add to Address Book.

Upon completion you can delete the draft message.

Note: it probably took longer to type the above then to actually do it.

All of the names you added to the address book will be in your Contacts
folder.

As I understand you do not want the names in this folder. Okay lets fix
that.

Open your Address Book, create a new folder (on File menu choose New
Folder).

The new folder will display in left pane.

Now lets take those newly added names in your Contacts folder and move them
into the new folder.

Point your mouse at the name you want to move, click and hold it down, drag
pointer to new folder, release hold. Whoosh that name is moved from contact
folder to new folder.

Let say you want to move several names at once. Click the first name you
want to move then hold down the ctrl key as you click additional names
(notice each stay highlighted) on the last name, as above, hold it down and
drag pointer to new folder. Whoosh they are all moved.

Joy what I am trying to get at is names typed into a group are very
restricted.

Put them into a folder, then add them to a group by selecting from a
folder.

Ken

Joy" wrote in message

| The properties does show the list (in the same format as shown when double
| clicking on the group name), but they are not "copy-able", as you said.
|
| I did discover one "work around" to retyping all the names and addresses.
| I had accessed the list from an e-mail where they were BCC; I was able to
| see the BCC names by using the F3 key when the (sent) e-mail was open. I
| copied and pasted it into Word. When I got the list into Word (and in
| alphabetical order), I used copy and paste to put each name and each
address
| into the new group. Time-consuming, yes, but not as bad as retyping them
| all (and more accurate!)
|
| Thanks for your input.
|
| "Ron Sommer" wrote in message
| I posted at the same time as Ken which was 3 hours before your post.
|
| You have discovered one of the problems with adding names not in the
| address book to a group.
| If you view the properties of an email sent to a group, you will see the
| list of group' names.
|
| Groups do not export or get saved in a scv file.
| The only way to move your group' names/addresses not in the address book
| to another group or computer is to retype the names/addresses.
| --
| Ron Sommer
|
| "Joy" wrote in message
| You may have written this before I posted this:
|
| I have 6 group folders - 3 of them show the names therein when I
| click on them, but the other 3 don't show anything. I THINK the 3 that
| show
| names were compiled by transferring names from my own personal list.
But
> [...]
|
| All your groups should display.
|
| Click one of your groups, all contacts for that group should
display
| in
| right pane.
|
| Select the first name to highlight it, then while holding down the
| shift key
| select one of the other names half way down the list, all contacts
| in-between should highlight.
|
| On the Edit menu choose Copy.
|
| Create a new group but do not put any contacts in it.
|
| The new group should display in the left hand pane with all the
other
| groups.
|
| Click it, then on edit menu choose Paste.
|
| The names your copied from your first group should now display in
the
| new
| group.
|
| When satisfied with results delete those names from the first
group.

| Ken
|
| "Joy" wrote in message
| The message wasn't very long; it was the number of recipients that
| was too
| large. It's been OK for a long time, I may have just added a
couple
| too
| many more this month. I always put my address in the To, and the
| the
| group list in the BCC.
|
| Problem in creating two new groups is that I don't know of any way
| to copy
| the list (or half of it).
|
| "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote in message
| The number of addresses is too large to send or the message is
too
| large?
| (OE doesn't care about either but your ISP probably does.)
|
| Assuming the latter, you can create two (2) new Groups with half
of
| the
| addresses in each & then delete the original Group; or you can
| create one
| (1) new Group with one half of the addresses it in it then delete
| those
| addresses from the original Group.
|
| PS: Have you tried putting the original Group in the BCC field
(and
| then
| your address in the TO field)?
| --
| ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
| MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
|
| Joy wrote:
| We send a meeting notice to a group, and now it is too large to
| send, so
| need to divide it in half. I don't know how to select half of
| the names
| put into a new group. They are not in my main address book, but
| are
| listed
| only in a group. Hope I'm explaining this clearly. I have
WinXP

Old April 24th 09, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Joy[_2_]

Thank you very much for this additional option.

Old April 24th 09, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Joy[_2_]