Mail Client Not Properly Installed

Old November 17th 08, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
harlemnocturn

Default Mail Client Not Properly Installed

I have a problem similar to others who received this error message. Since I
just got through implementing Mr. Hagen's thread earlier today, there must be
something severe about mine, or else his steps would have worked. I did not
notice the problem of OE failing to open until after a bad experience with
McAfee, after which I uninstalled their product. I do not want to give up
the blocking security OE offers, although, if worse comes to worse, I could
fully install MS Outlook. Meanwhile, what else can I do to repair OE?
Old November 17th 08, 12:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

What error message? Please be more specific. Your post as is, lacks any
substantial information as to what your problem is, and what you did to try
to correct it.

There were a number of threads today that I was in on, but none I started.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old November 17th 08, 03:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
harlemnocturn

Mr. Hagen

The error message is in the title of the thread. OE will not open when I
click on an email link. A box with an error message appears, which reads
like the subject line of this thread.

Old November 17th 08, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Are you saying that: Mail Client Nor Properly Installed is the entire error
message? Never saw that before, and you didn't mention clicking on a link.
Does OE work OK otherwise? Then some of these links may help. Copy and paste
them into your browser's address bar.

Make OE the default e-mail client:
http://www.oehelp.com/oedef.aspx

For links in e-mail:
http://www.oehelp.com/oelnk.aspx

And:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

Restores OE to the E-mail clients list in Internet Options
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/oe_client.htm

If you have MS Outlook installed, also see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13

"Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306098

Multiple browser windows open when you click on a mailto: link:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MailtoProtocol.htm

Old November 17th 08, 08:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

CrystalBall© sez...

Is MS Outlook (or MS Office) also installed?

• Do you have this Registry key?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB\WAB4

• If not, STOP; If so, is there a DWORD named UseOutlook (NB: no space) and
is its value set to 1 (one)?

• If not, STOP; If so, Address Book is configured to share contacts with
Outlook, even if you don't use it (can happen with the install of Office).
Change the value to 0 (zero), close REGEDIT & reboot, and all should be
well. (If that DWORD is not present, don't create it, and don't alter any
other DWORD values.)

Note that any changes (additions, deletions, edits) made while sharing was
enabled will not be available (displayed) in Address Book when sharing is
disabled.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old November 17th 08, 03:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
harlemnocturn

Mr. Hagen

I did all of this before I started the thread. Additionally, I didn't know
error messages were like the Law or the Bible where one had to quote them
exactly word for word.

Old November 17th 08, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
harlemnocturn

Mr. Dyer

I had MS Outlook on my computer and I am only willing to fully activate it
if my OE problem is beyond repair.

Old November 17th 08, 11:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
harlemnocturn

Dear Mr. PA Bear

Yes, I have that Registry Key. In hex the value is 80d8. The decimal is
32984.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Keep reading my post...

Old November 17th 08, 11:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Keep reading...

harlemnocturn wrote:
Yes, I have that Registry Key. In hex the value is 80d8. The decimal is
32984.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Keep reading my post...