Saved file disappeared

Old February 13th 06, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Happy

Default Saved file disappeared

While moving files one at a time from one saved file to another, the entire
destination file disappeared! I looked in all the adjacent files, looked in
the deleted file, no result. Any suggestions?

Old February 13th 06, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Were you moving files, or folders in the folder tree?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old February 13th 06, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Can you clarify exactly what you mean? Do you mean messages? What files?
How did you move them?

steve

Old February 13th 06, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Happy

I was within the OE program itself, with the files in one of my "saved"
folders open. I was reviewing the files, deleting some, taking further
action on some, and relocating some that I wanted to still keep to another
saved folder on the left side of OE (Folders side), with the idea of closing
out the folder I was working in. I was using the "drag and drop" method. As
I dragged and dropped one file, I noticed that the destination folder was no
longer there. The files I refer to are really messages I guess, that had
come in as emails, and I had saved to the folder I was working on.

Old February 13th 06, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

See if the missing folder still has its dbx file in the message store. If
it's there, you can replace it manually.

ToolsOptionsMaintenanceStore folder will reveal the location
of your Outlook Express files. Press the Tab key to highlight the folder
location, then Ctrl+C. Close OE, then StartRunCtrl+V will put the location
in the box - Click OK and you'll see the OE files. Otherwise, write the
location down and navigate to it in Windows Explorer.

In WindowsXP, 2K & 3K, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under StartControl PanelFolder
OptionsView.

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file and drag it to the Desktop. Open
OE and create a folder with the *exact* same name as the one on your
desktop. ***Copy a message from any folder to the new one. You MUST do
this.*** Close OE. Go back to Windows Explorer and Click Desktop and drag
the folder from the Desktop to the OE store folder that you clicked on to
reveal the .dbx files. Prompt - "Do you want to overwrite......."? Click
Yes.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old February 13th 06, 06:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Happy

BINGO! There it is, will all the files intact, it seems. Thank you very,
very, much. This happened to me once before, but after a search, I just
ignored it, and continued on. Any idea how that happened, and how I can
avoid it in the future?
Again, this is much appreciated.

Old February 13th 06, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You're welcome, Happy. Can't say why it happened for sure. It could have
been accidentally deleted, or a slip of the mouse accidentally dragged it
into Deleted Items.

You've probably seen this before, but:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no
folders are open. Then: FileWork Offline (or double click Working Online in
the Status Bar). FileFolderCompact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

In ToolsOptionsMaintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup and Resto

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

Old February 13th 06, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Linnane

Bruce, Can you please tell me how to tell the size of my message folders? If I am in "Local Folders" all I can see is the number of emails unread and the total number of emails but not the size taken by all the messages in the folder.

Thanks
Linnane

. Keep user created
folders under 100MB,

Old February 14th 06, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Happy

I am not sure what "default OE folders" are. I have created under "saved
folders" a number of folders by topic, by person etc., and transfer ones I
want to save into those.