Inbox Disappeared

Old January 30th 06, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Allan T. Chou

Default Inbox Disappeared

Was sending a message and then the complete contents of my inbox
disaapeared. Checked my deleted folder and sent folder and all the files
are still in tact. Where did they go?

Old January 30th 06, 06:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Allan T. Chou

Found my inbox on my hard drive and it looks like the info is still there.
Whay doesn't my OE6 see them?

Old January 30th 06, 10:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

With OE closed, rename the Inbox.dbx to Inboxold.dbx. When you open OE, a
new (empty) Inbox will be created.

You should be able to retrieve the messages with one of these tools.

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress. Faster for large folders:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

A general warning if you don't want to lose your messages in the futu

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no
folders are open. Then: FileWork Offline (or double click Working Online in
the Status Bar). FileFolderCompact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

In ToolsOptionsMaintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old January 31st 06, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

Or move it to another directory so the contents are preserved.

He should also make sure he does points 2 and 3 here
(www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx) and BACKUP.

steve