formatting text -- line width

Old February 12th 06, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ben Crain

Default formatting text -- line width

The issue is the length of lines of text I write. They extend to the end of
the OE window for creating mail and then wrap to the next line; and the
lines readjust themselves properly if I resize the window.

This behavior seems to work well in OE (which I have just begun using). But
I send emails to a friend who complains that they (the lines) are "2 feet
wide". And when he responds to my emails they come back with the lines of my
original text much shorter, and truncated in strange places -- i.e. they
don't extend to the end of my window before wrapping to the next line. Some
of the lines may be only one or two words long before jumping to the next
line. Not at all the way I sent them.

My correspondent (who is barely computer literate) uses a mac, and gets to
his email via his Safari browser, on Yahoo's web site for email. I'm
assuming this is the way it works, as he claims to use Safari "for email" and
not to have any particular email program like OE.

I'm assuming the problem with this text formatting lies on his end -- with
the configuration of his browser and/or his Yahoo account. But I first want
to be sure there's nothing I should be doing differently in OE. I just
started using OE a few days ago, and have no experience, so far, with sending
emails to any other recipient. I have not changed any OE settings. To send
an email I just type in the text and click Send.

Thanks for any guidance or tips,
Ben Crain
Old February 12th 06, 01:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

OE Tools Options Send Mail Plain Text MIME and Automatically
wrap...: What are your settings here?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old February 12th 06, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

I presume that you friend is complain that he has to scroll horizontally
to view the message lines.

Several things contribute to this:

- The screen resolution on his computer (how many pixels high and wide
the screen is set). That's a system setting
- How large the application window is. Like Windows, on a Mac each
application window can be resized by dragging the lower right hand
corner
- The font size used in the Window. That would be a Safari setting in
this case
- The Yahoo account setting. In Yahoo in Mail, Options, General, he can
set the Screen Width (line length) that is used to display plain text
messages. The default is 72, range is 50 to 99 characters. All other
things being equal, if he uses a smaller number there, he will less
likely have to scroll horizontally.

As for his sending message back to you, in the same place in Yahoo is a
line length to be used when he sends back to you. In the case of plain
text messages, wrapping will always be an issue on replies.