17 seconds to open first message

« halo | Spell check »

Old March 4th 08, 12:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Default 17 seconds to open first message

1. Assuming WinXP, uninstall ZA via Add/Remove Programs, and then enable the
Windows Firewall.

2. OE Tools | Options | General:

= When starting, go directly to my Inbox folder (uncheck)

= Send/Receive at startup (uncheck)

3. Close and reopen OE: Does the behavior persist?
--
~PA Bear

[A month later] Galloping Hairpin wrote:
Ok, I finally got around to creating a new identity, not totally
straightforward because of the approach used by my ISP to implement
multiple
email addresses.

Anyway, the new identity exhibited similar, but not identical, problems to
the old one insofar as it took 15 seconds to open the first message rather
than the 21 seconds.

I have de-installed Avast and re-installed without any email scanning
options. I have also disabled MailSafe in my ZoneAlarm firewall (although
turning the firewall off completely makes no difference in any case).

If I can ever save up enough money I'm going to buy myself a Macintosh
because I'm totally fed up with the problems I encounter with Microsoft
products. Either that or I'll run my PC on Linux.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

kibbitz
If compacting all OE folders (ALT+F+F+F;
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact) and deleting
Temporary
Internet Files (and accepting the prompt to delete all offline content)
doesn't correct the problem...

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File

Identities Add new identity). Assuming all is well, (1) compact all
folders in the old identity, (2) import messages from the old identity
into
the new one, and then (3) delete the old one (File Identities Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
/kibbitz
--
~PA Bear

Galloping Hairpin wrote:
Yes, I see this delay in every folder.

I can't get my brain around the fact that there is no activity in the
Avast
processes yet it's clearly affecting Outlook Express in some way.

Is there any way to re-install Outlook Express?

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

Do you see this delay in every folder, or just the Inbox? I'm trying to
figure out if there is something wrong with Avast, or it is actually
doing
its job and the delay is a result.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Galloping Hairpin" wrote
in
message ...
Ok. I've done that and it hasn't made any difference.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

In many cases, just unchecking e-mail scanning is not enough. Remove
Avast
and reinstall it. Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

See if that helps.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old March 4th 08, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Correction:

1. Assuming WinXP, uninstall ZA via Add/Remove Programs, [Reboot,] and then

Old March 4th 08, 09:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Galloping Hairpin

Thanks for trying to help but I've had my fill of trying to resolve this
problem. When I created the new identity I set up the accounts and mail rules
exactly as I had them in the main identity but for some reason the rules
wouldn't work and I was getting mail intended for other family members. I
double-checked everything but couldn't find anything amiss. This is just
typical of the kind of problems I encounter with Windows. Early last year I
had to perform a clean install of XP, after reformatting the system drive,
because a piece of third-party software had left some garbage behind in the
system which I couldn't find or remove and which was seriously compromising
performance. So, of course, because of the stupid pesky registry I then had
to rebuild all my applications as well. Since then the system has been
gradually getting slower, probably as the registry gets bloated, although
defragging it has not helped. I've tried various suggestions to restore the
performance but nothing seems to help. Now it looks like I might have to do
another complete system rebuild.

With a Mac, as you're probably aware, the OS can be upgraded or
clean-installed without losing everything else.

Best regards,

Gallopinhairpin.

Old March 4th 08, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Galloping Hairpin

If you wish to see it that way so be it. I do not want to spend any more of
my time trying one thing after another. I've wasted enough time already. I
could have rebuilt the system twice over in the time I've spent trying things
to resolve this problem.