17 seconds to open first message

« halo | Spell check »

Old February 1st 08, 08:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Default 17 seconds to open first message

I /believe/ LiveUpdate and Auto-Protect refer to a Norton program.

As far as Windows Updates, I would stay current with at the very least the
critical ones. I prefer to download them on my own as well so I can turn off
my anti-virus when downloading and installing. Preferred for downloading
anything to insure a clean install.

And are you save without e-mail scanning? Probably more so that with it.

Turning off e-mail scanning is safe. See:

Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...ion.mspx#EOAAC

And:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

And this is from Symantec, but applies to all anti-virus programs.

From:
http://snipurl.com/bmf6

Is my computer still protected against viruses if I disable Email Scanning?

Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses that
are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect scans
incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email and
email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this. To
make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
the most recent virus definitions.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Galloping Hairpin" wrote in
message ...
Oh sorry, yes, 'Read Mail is a folder I created to which I move all
messages
which don't end up in 'Deleted Items'. I also have a SPAM folder and have
created a message rule which dumps all mail there which my ISP's server
has
marked SPAM in the subject line.

May I draw your attention to my last paragraph regarding LiveUpdate? I
prefer not to have any Microsoft components automatically updated. Maybe
I'm
paranoid but I have an instinctive distrust of Microsoft which is why I
use
third-party antivirus and firewall software. So if I scrap Avast's email
protection am I vulnerable?

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

But what about this Read Mail folder? Outlook Express doesn't have such a
folder unless you create it.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old February 3rd 08, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Galloping Hairpin

Bruce,

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

I /believe/ LiveUpdate and Auto-Protect refer to a Norton program.

Well, I don't have any Symantec/Norton utilities installed.

I have been conducting some further tests and I am, quite frankly, baffled.
I have found that if I terminate the Avast Standard Shield resident provider
the delay in opening the first message drops to 5 seconds which is exactly
the same as if I stop all on-access protection. Note that I now have the
Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange providers permanently terminated.

The Avast icon in the Systray rotates once when I select the message but
doesn't move during the 21 seconds (timed with a stopwatch) of disk activity.
The Standard Shield doesn't report any files scanned and it's process,
ashServ.exe, has zero CPU activity. The only processes which show any CPU
activity during the disk activity are explorer.exe (briefly) and msimn.exe
(continuously, varying between 02% and 08%).

So, everything suggests that it's not Avast that's causing the problem and
yet if I disable it the problem appears to go away.

Old February 3rd 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

In many cases, just unchecking e-mail scanning is not enough. Remove Avast
and reinstall it. Choose Custom Installation and under Resident
Protection, uncheck: Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange.

See if that helps.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Galloping Hairpin" wrote in
message ...
Bruce,

Old February 3rd 08, 04:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Do you see this delay in every folder, or just the Inbox? I'm trying to
figure out if there is something wrong with Avast, or it is actually doing
its job and the delay is a result.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Galloping Hairpin" wrote in
message ...

Old February 3rd 08, 05:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Galloping Hairpin

Yes, I see this delay in every folder.

I can't get my brain around the fact that there is no activity in the Avast
processes yet it's clearly affecting Outlook Express in some way.

Is there any way to re-install Outlook Express?

Old February 3rd 08, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

That eliminates one bad folder, or message. You can reinstall OE, but I
doubt that would do one bit of good.

Create a new identity and import your messages to it. Do you see a delay
here?

File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169

You will still have your messages in the old identity, so if this doesn't
help, you can just delete this new identity.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Galloping Hairpin" wrote in
message ...

Old February 3rd 08, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Also, if you select to work offline, do you see the delay?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Galloping Hairpin" wrote in
message ...

Old February 3rd 08, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

kibbitz
If compacting all OE folders (ALT+F+F+F;
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact) and deleting Temporary
Internet Files (and accepting the prompt to delete all offline content)
doesn't correct the problem...

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File
Identities Add new identity). Assuming all is well, (1) compact all
folders in the old identity, (2) import messages from the old identity into
the new one, and then (3) delete the old one (File Identities Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not shut down your machine while Windows is
automatically compacting your message store.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
/kibbitz
--
~PA Bear

Old March 3rd 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Galloping Hairpin

Ok, I finally got around to creating a new identity, not totally
straightforward because of the approach used by my ISP to implement multiple
email addresses.

Anyway, the new identity exhibited similar, but not identical, problems to
the old one insofar as it took 15 seconds to open the first message rather
than the 21 seconds.

I have de-installed Avast and re-installed without any email scanning
options. I have also disabled MailSafe in my ZoneAlarm firewall (although
turning the firewall off completely makes no difference in any case).

If I can ever save up enough money I'm going to buy myself a Macintosh
because I'm totally fed up with the problems I encounter with Microsoft
products. Either that or I'll run my PC on Linux.