OE 6 hangs on reset list newgroups

Old December 27th 07, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Harry[_2_]

Default OE 6 hangs on reset list newgroups

I use OE 6 (winXP SP 2 and winXP SP3 RC) as a newsreader.
I'm doing some testing. There are two NNTP-servers over here, they don't
have exactly the same list of newsgroups (1 has an extended version), but
you can connect to them using the same servername (RRDNS).
So in the settings, you don't have to change a thing (let's say server A is
the old one and server B is the new one that has an extended list).
I have the list of newsgroups on server A (the one I always used before)
stored in the folders.dbx-file (folders.dbx lists newsgroups as separate
objects no matter whether you are subscribed to any of those or not).
The option 'reset list' fails when I try to get the list of newsgroups of
server
B (I force OE to use B via the hosts-file). OE hangs when the new list is
almost completely downloaded (but not on a specific newsgroup). The
application doesn't respond anymore.
In the event viewer, this message is displayed: "Hanging application
msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.3264, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang
address 0x00000000."
If I close OE, delete the folders.dbx, restart OE and do a new 'reset list',
it works properly.

Any idea anyone? I'm trying to get this working because I want a seemless
migration for the users over here. With other newsreaders, it all works
nice.

Harry

Old December 27th 07, 03:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Asked/Answered in OE General. If you must make identical posts to multiple
newsgroups, please cross-post one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

There is one (1) arena in which issues with WinXP SP3 RC builds are
discussed:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2010&SiteID=17

QP
This pre-release software is provided for testing purposes only. Microsoft
does not recommend installing this software on primary or mission critical
systems. Microsoft recommends that you have a backup of your data prior to
installing any pre-release software.
/QP
Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-36b124a720aa