Why don't some of my email messages [which are on my ISP's pop3 server] download to my OE6 ?

Old March 8th 07, 02:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Petula

Default Why don't some of my email messages [which are on my ISP's pop3 server] download to my OE6 ?

Most of the email messages that were sent to me in the last few weeks [via
the pop3 server for my Earthlink email account] have not downloaded into my
OE6 inbox.

In contrast, email for my Hotmail accounts has been coming and going
normally using my OE6.

On advice from Earthlink tech support, I created a new identity in my OE6.
Using the new identity, all of my email messages on the Earthlink pop3
server download correctly into the inbox of my OE6.

However, in the old identity, the missing messages still do not download
from the Earthlink server.

It is tedious switching to the new identity to use my Earthlink email.
Can you help me get my Earthlink email working again via my OE6?

Note: In the old identity, I can successfully send send myself messages
(that is, from my Earthlink email account to my Earthlink account).

Old March 8th 07, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

In the new identity, import the messages from the old identity.

If you have Leave a copy of messages on the server, make sure you also have
it set to delete after x days.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup & Resto
http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

This is a great two click program:

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB)
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

Old March 8th 07, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

In the old identity look at Tools, Message Rules, Mail. Are there any
rule with an action of Do Not Download?

Or the POP3UIDL.DBX (OE5+) file may be corrupted. This is used to track
previously downloaded messages when you leave messages on a POP3 server
(Tools, Accounts, Mail, Properties, Advanced). Delete the file with
Outlook Express closed. (On Win2000 you need enable the display of
Hidden or System files in the folder options and XP you need to use the
advanced options to find Hidden or System files.) The next time all
mail on the server will be downloaded. But after that the file should
function correctly again.