Sharing Outlook Express messages between 2 OS

Old January 28th 07, 04:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Default Sharing Outlook Express messages between 2 OS

"Jim Pickering" wrote in message
: "Gordon" wrote in message
: ...
: "PA Bear" wrote in message
: ...
: Can't be done. (2 WinXP User Accounts can have the same store,
though.)
:
: Why ever not? just put the message store on a drive or partition that's
: accessible (read/write) by both OS's.....
:
:
: Since the message store is keyed to a specific GUID for each identity, it
: won't work. But, you're welcome to try it and risk losing your messages
if
: you don't want to take our word for it.
:
: You can however, "clone" an identity on another machine and then swap the
: store folders. See here for how to do that:
: http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone.htm
: --
: Jim Pickering
: MVP-Windows Mail applications
: Please reply only to the newsgroup.
:

Jim,
From http://www.insideoe.com/backup/clone.htm, "You can use this process
..........to allow multi-boot systems to have a single shared OE Identity."
and "If you plan to dual-boot and share OE, use a drive that is visible to
all the OS systems you plan to use."

Kelly Theroit's article, "How to Share OE over Multiple Operating Systems"
refers to using the same drive.

If you clone an Identity, then both Identities will be using the same store
folder.
There is no need to swap store folders after cloning.
If you want to combine the messages from the unused store folder, import
from the unused store folder.
--
Ronald Sommer

Old January 28th 07, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

I think this thread went off, as people are confusing sharing the store on a
network versus sharing it between OSs on the same computer.

There is no problem with sharing the message store in the scenario you
describe. I've been doing similar since OE5 came out.

What you have to do is the following:

0. Backup the message store.

1. Export the appropriate registry keys in Win98 after you set up the
accounts, etc. (its hard to import the registry keys from XP to 98, so do it
from 98 to XP). See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

2. Boot to XP and delete the registry keys that were backed up on Win98.
Then merge the backed up keys from Win98 to the XP system. This will then
give the same registry information and the same message store location
between OSs.

3. Start OE and you'll see the same messages, accounts and newsgroups as in
Win98.

What's important to remember is that if you change _account_ information
then you will have to re-equate the registry keys and since its harder to go
from XP to 98, then you should make any changes (adding or removing accounts
and message rules, etc.) in Win98, then export those registry keys, and when
you boot to XP then merge those keys prior to opening OE.

The same technique can be used to share the store between users of the same
OS.

But trying to share the store between two computers on a network is not
functionally stable and can result in message loss. I think that's what
people originally misinterpreted when they answered this thread.

cheers,

steve

"Mustansir" wrote in message
I have dual OS installed i.e. Windows 98 SE and Windows XP. I have IE 6 and
OE 6 installed on both the OS. Currently, I check my POP3, IMAP and
Hotmail
accounts in Win 98. I want to share the same messages (same message store)
and accounts of OE in Windows XP also so that I can check or read my mails
in either OS. How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance & Rgds,
Mustansir