Too many .dbx files

Old September 21st 06, 04:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JLE

Default Too many .dbx files

I have 8 personal folders in OE, in addition to the standard inbox, outbox,
etc. But when I look in the message store I find 22 .dbx files. Some of
them have names like "travel (1)" but they do not appear in OE. I've rebuilt
the folders.dbx file, but nothing changed. I don't necessarily need the
messages in these folders, but shouldn't the OE list and the Windows Explorer
file list to match.

Also, I have one folder in OE with a null name, and I cannot delete it, nor
can I find a .dbx file to match it.
Old September 21st 06, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

You can delete old user created dbx files. If you have any doubt which ones
are currently in use, note the file size of all the dbx files. Then add a
message to each folder in OE. When you go back to the message store, the
files still in use will have increased in size.

Make sure OE is closed when you delete the dbx files. I'm not sure what you
mean by a dbx file with a *Null* name, so I am not sure what to advise on
that one.

If you delete a folder in the tree, the dbx file will remain until you
delete it also. That is why they are in the Message Store, and not in OE. If
you want to get the messages from the files not in use, do this for each one
before you do anything else:

In Windows Explorer, click on the dbx file for the missing folder and drag
it to the Desktop. Open OE and create a folder with the *exact* same name as
the one on your desktop. Open the new folder and then close OE. Go back to
Windows Explorer and Click Desktop and drag the file from the Desktop to the
OE store folder that you clicked on to reveal the .dbx files. Prompt - "Do
you want to overwrite......."? Click Yes.

When you are done, compact your folders.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 21st 06, 12:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

The travel folder became corrupt, so OE added the (1) and created a new
travel.dbx file.
Create an archive folder.
Access the folder or copy a message to the folder.
Close OE.
Delete archive.dbx.
Rename travel(1).dbx to archive.dbx.
Open OE.
What is in the archive folder?
Move or delete the messages.
Repeat for the other (1) files.

Create a new Identity and import the messages from the old folder.
--
Ron Sommer

:

Old September 21st 06, 01:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

You can right click on the folder in the folder list and then go to
Properties and it will tell you what file it is using.

I would do what Ron suggests and set up a new Identity via File | Identities
and then import from the older one, since the old one is clearly corrupt.

Also see points 2 and 3 he www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx

steve

Old September 22nd 06, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JLE

Thank you. I am now able to make the list of .dbx files in the message store
match the list of folders in OE. No method I try, however, seems to allow me
to recover messages from these "unused" message files, but fortunately it
doesn't matter. I don't think there is anything in there that I need, and
I'm simply assuming that they are all too corrupt for OE to read. I've
turned off e-mail checking in my antivirus software and will take great pains
when doing come factions from now on so as to avoid this problem in the
future. Again, thank you.

And now the "but." I had asked two questions and the second was about a
folder in OE with a "null" name (that is, a blank). Unlike the other
folders, OE will not let me delete it and will not let me rename it. Looking
at the properties, I discovered it was pointed to a .dbx file associated with
a newsgroup. I can delete that newsgroup message file, but OE simply creates
another one in its place, or attaches the null folder to a different
newsgroup message file. I really don't need any of these newsreader files,
either (the newsgroup has ceased), but I don't see how deleting even all of
the newsgroups solves the problem of the unnamed folder, and I'm concerned at
what else might be affected.

Someone else has suggested "creating a new identity and importing," but that
is not a sufficient explanation for me to know how to do it. I am very
concerned that my current identity is called "main identity" and I'm sharing
part of my address book with the other user of this machine. It seems to me
that creating a new identity might lose me more than I gain, or what do I
know?

Old September 22nd 06, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

What happens if you go to Tools | Accounts | News and remove the news
account there? Reboot and see if you can delete the folder now.

Creating a new identity is a good alternative if the above did not work. The
default Main identity is the one most prone to corruption.

Create a new one an test it. If all is well, you can import your folders
from the old identity, and the good news is that newsgroups do not import.

Before deleting the old identity, open the Address Book in the old identity
and File | Export to any place on your HDD that is easy for you. My
Documents is fine. Then, open the Address Book in the new identity and File
| Import and point to where you saved it. This is also an easy backup of the
AB.

Once you have the messages and Address Book imported and all is working OK,
you can go ahead and delete the old identity.

The other user's Address Book will not be affected, but you still have the
backup even if there was a problem.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 24th 06, 01:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
JLE

Just want to know that your solution worked but that it is a lot more
difficult to do than what you describe. I didn't know that I would have to
set up the connection for the new identity all over again. The instructions
provided also do not cover the case where I have two user accounts defined in
XP, each with their own "main identity" in their own section of Documents and
Settings. Once I figured it all out, it went pretty well. All is now as it
should be. Thanks again.

Old September 24th 06, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Most important, you're welcome and I'm glad the issue was resolved.

Where you experienced difficulty, I believe is because you had two separate
accounts and two separate logon screens when booting up, which I was not
aware of.

Normally, if you are the only user and you create a new identity, you just
have to bring your messages over when you're done. Creating a new identity
should not change or delete your account settings.

Regardless, good to see your back in business. And the possible fixes for
most situations that you see here, are easier said, than done.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 24th 06, 03:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Are you saying that you had the same problem in both user accounts?
Where you sharing the OE Store Folder between the two XP users?
You would have to enter the email account name and password when setting up
a new Identity.
--
Ron Sommer

: "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
:
[...]
: --
: Bruce Hagen
: MS-MVP Outlook Express
: ~IB-CA~
:
: ...
: "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
:
[...]
: "JLE" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Reviewing old dbx files? Dan Outlook Express 3 July 30th 06 10:20 AM
Restoring *.dbx files Gary Smith Outlook - Installation 7 July 25th 06 06:12 PM
Missing .dbx files..... janetb Outlook Express 4 June 6th 06 04:14 PM
dbx files Aftermath Outlook Express 1 January 16th 06 03:45 AM
DBX Files Dave Outlook Express 4 January 13th 06 11:39 PM