hotmail - sent items - lists "from" in the "to"column

Old May 23rd 06, 04:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shaw News

Default hotmail - sent items - lists "from" in the "to"column

Here's the problem: I have 2 computers. When I send a message on one
computer and display it later on the other it has my name in the "to"
column, rather than in the "from" column. The "from" column is blank.

The same thing happens on both computers.

When a message is copied from "sent items" in one hotmail account to another
hotmail account, and then copied or moved back again, the "from" and "to"
columns are then properly displayed.

As a result, under "sent items" I have each sent e-mail saved twice - one of
which displays properly on one computer while the other displays properly on
the other computer.

Old May 23rd 06, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

I'm confused: Are you sending from and to the same Hotmail address on both
machines?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

Old May 29th 06, 08:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Are you using more than one Hotmail account on both machines?

Are all accounts accounts, accounts, or a mix
of the two?

Is an MSN Premium subscription included with your shaw.ca ISP account?
--
~PA Bear

Old May 30th 06, 06:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shaw News

Yes re more than one hotmail.
No msn account (there used to be one years ago).
No MSN premium accounts involved.

Old May 30th 06, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

I'm still not sure what the problem is.

The only Hotmail folder in OE that has a TO column available is (Hotmail)
Sent Items. If you're placing the copy of a message in a non-Hotmail folder
(e.g., a Local folder), both the TO and FROM columns may be available.
--
~PA Bear

Old June 1st 06, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shaw News

To be clear, the "TO" and "FROM" columns are correct on the computer on
which it was sent. However, on the other computer my name, which should be
in the "FROM" column is in to "TO" column and the "FROM" column is blank.

Is there a way to uninstall all of OE and reinstall it? I could then
re-subscribe to all the hotmail and other accounts.

Old June 2nd 06, 12:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Are both Hotmail accounts running in OE on both machines? If so, are there
two (2) sets of Hotmail folders in OE?

Are you referring to the TO and FROM columns in Hotmail Inbox folder or
another folder?

No need to uninstall/reinstall to test this. Try the account(s) in a new
Named Identity (File Identities Add new identity). Assuming all is
well, import messages from the old Identity's local folders* before deleting
it (File Identities Manage Identities).

[I would also go to IE Tools Internet Options Privacy Sites and "Allow
Cookies" for both hotmail.com and live.com.]

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use the local folders Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move
them to local folders created for this purpose.

- Empty the local Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

- Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.

* Don't bother importing any of the Hotmail folders or the local folders
Deleted Items and Sent Items (which should be empty anyway).
--
~PA Bear

Old June 6th 06, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Shaw News

----- Yes

----- Hotmail

----- I added a new identity and installed my hotmail account. The messages all had the problem I complained of so I did not go to the next step.