DO NOT include field "Title" in the name column in "To" search

Old April 25th 06, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rob G.

Default DO NOT include field "Title" in the name column in "To" search

This is a suggestion for the Outlook programmers.

DO NOT include field "Title" in the name column in the untitled Message "To"
search

After importing a robust contact list developed in Excel, I now have to Type
Mr., Ms., Dr., etc. when sorting contacts. Previously all I had to do was
type the first couple of letters of the persons first name when I wanted to
add them to the "To" message field.

-R_

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...tlook.contacts
Old April 25th 06, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Outlook does not do this.
Examine the settings by which you have configured and sorted your Outlook
Address Book. You have misconfigured something: most likely your File As...
field.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 26th 06, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rob G.

Sadly, Outlook does do this... NOT in the contact records (when one selects
“contacts from the left-side menu, these populate fine) but in the list when
one selects "To" for a new message.

Here's how to repeat it...

(1) Export contacts to an Excel file.
(2) In the first (column) field (which is "title") Add titles.... Mr., Ms.
etc.
(3) Delete your contacts in Outlook or you will get duplicates, Outlook
thinks "Mr." Somebody is different than Somebody.
(4) Import the Excel list into Outlook... you may need to use a comma
delimitated file created from the Excel because Outlook sometimes “chokes”
when importing an Excel
(5) Open a new email... and select “To”. You now have a “Name” column that
lists all the emails, several for an individual with multiple addresses, but
now Mr. or Ms. or whatever the “title” is is infrom of all the names,
requiring that one enters the title befor searching the list.

Let me know how you make out with the steps above or if you need
clarification.

Best,

Old April 26th 06, 10:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

As I said, this is end user error. Outlook is only doing what you have told
it to.
I cannot help if you do not answer my questions.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old April 28th 06, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rob G.

Thanks Russ for your patience...

Under Tools-- Options -- Contact Options…

Default “Full Name” order: First (Middle) Last
Default “File As” order: Last, First

There is not an option to display or remove “title” from the pull down list.
Did I look in the wrong place?

Did you run my steps to see what I am seeing?

Old April 28th 06, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

No. I would never run those steps. Exporting and importing Outlook data
always loses and/or mangles data. I try never to do so.
The question I was asking was what sort order you had set for your Outlook
Address Book.
Here's my best guess, without having all the information: Whenever you
import data into Outlook, your File As... field will be set incorrectly and
will not obey the preferences you set for it. So if your Outlook Address
Book is set to sort by the File As... field, it will be sorted incorrectly.
You may need to run some code to reset those File As... fields:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old May 3rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rob G.

I appreciate your help. I'll just create a work around.

I like exporting Outlook Contacts to Excel because you can see all the
fields at once and can use the Excel file to more easily create complex
custom mail merges. I also find that mail merges with Excel files work more
predictably than merges with Outlook Contacts.

As mentioned, the address book sort is correct. No problems with the "File
As" in this case. The problem is when adding an address via "To" to a new
message. It seems that Outlook is "concatenating" Address Book fields
"Title," " First Name" and "Last Name" into the "Name" column (field)
displayed.

Wouldn't you agree, it's frustrationg. I mean if Microsoft can't get the
import/export functionality right, why include it? When I re-import the
Excel to Outlook, I am careful to ensure that all fields are mapped corectly.
That's all that should be required. Why should it require more than that?

I know programming is complex and testing software under real world
conditions is even harder. But, Outlook performed as I described, and it's
repeataqble, as described. You may not want too try the procedures yourself,
because you know import/export is quirky but someone on the Outlook
development team should. All programers must ensure that the functionality
they provide performs according to design and more importanly is in-line with
the users mental model. (Heck, the team can contact me, I be happy to
participate in their user experience/ interaction design tests.)

Stay well,

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

No. I would never run those steps. Exporting and importing Outlook data
always loses and/or mangles data. I try never to do so.
The question I was asking was what sort order you had set for your Outlook
Address Book.
Here's my best guess, without having all the information: Whenever you
import data into Outlook, your File As... field will be set incorrectly and
will not obey the preferences you set for it. So if your Outlook Address
Book is set to sort by the File As... field, it will be sorted incorrectly.
You may need to run some code to reset those File As... fields:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...Product=ol2002
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old May 3rd 06, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Yes, it's frustrating.
I'm not sure I understand what's going on in your case.
You never did specify by which fields you are sorting the Outlook Address
Book.
The Full Name field is never used for sorting the Outlook Address Book. The
File As... field is
Importing has always been full of unpleasant surprises in Outlook.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Rob G." wrote in message
[...]