How to use Outlook Express in Windows 7

Old July 2nd 10, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Steve Cochran

Default How to use Outlook Express in Windows 7

Hi Rainald,

I wasn't trying to tell people what to do. Just providing options to people, who want what they have to continue.

cheers,

steve

"Rainald Taesler" wrote in message ...
Steve Cochran wrote:
Several have wondered if there is anyway to use OE (or WinMail in
Vista) in Windows 7.

This page addresses some of the potential means to do so:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

Thanks a lot for the info, Steve!

Option #1 (avoid upgrading to Win7) IMHO not really is an option.
Win7 has to offer so much more over XP that the possibility of a further
usage of OE (which not really was a "masterpiece" {siiigh}) IMHO would
not be the slightest reason to stay away from Win7.
He who wants to stick with old XP and avoid to get accustomed to the
current OS might find an excuse for being reluctant, however. ;-) ;-)

Options #2 and #3 (XP-mode or some other VM) have been mentioned in
discussions in the German community more or less in a joking manner.
I agree with this approach.

I for one am using the XP-mode (even bought a new machine with Intel VT)
because I can hardly work with one of my main apps under Win7 (whereas
it worked pretty well under Vista).
But I really do not even think of doing my mail things under the XP-mode
(or any other VM).
What for?

WinMail happily runs on my Win7 machines!*)
So what?

It might pretty well be that I might be missing something.
But - honestly speaking - which advantages would OE under XP-mode have
over WinMail?

TIA
Rainald
*) The only problem that ever appeared was a "Win Security Update" a
while ago (around May 12).
Left alone the time needed for handling all the cries on the German
community gbg it didn't take more than half an hour to fix the problem
by copying over the updated version of MSOE.dll from Vista g

Old July 3rd 10, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

DAS wrote:
...And goodbye from this NG?

This group will soon be dead anyway.

Rainald
Old July 3rd 10, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

ozzie wrote:

A lot of people have got WinMail to work in Windows7
and are happy with that

I'm one those ;-)
Works really great.
And for sure I won't trade that for OE under the XP-mode bg

but for how long.. who knows..

Nobody knows.
According to the experience with the last "Security Update" for the mail
clients (OE, WinMail and WLM) around May 12 (where it was easy to fix
the problem) I assume that it might work as
long as MS will support Vista.

Rainald

Old July 4th 10, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
FromTheRafters[_2_]

Which "this group"?

Old July 4th 10, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Microsoft starting closing its public newsgroups on June 1st, and
all newsgroups are to be closed by October. At that point their
news server will be taken down.

For a list of newsgroups already closed, and their replacement forum, see
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...s/default.aspx

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Which "this group"?

Old July 7th 10, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

FromTheRafters wrote:
"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

It might pretty well be that I might be missing something.
But - honestly speaking - which advantages would OE under XP-mode
have over WinMail?

I would miss the 'source edit' function.

Sorry, don't remember what this was :-(
As I made the final move in Vista as soon as it was first availalable
over here in Germany (after having been working with the Beta already)
it's simply too long ago that I last used OE :-(

What was that feature used for?

Rainald

Old July 8th 10, 12:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

Thanks for clarifying, Steve!

Indeed I hardly ever used HTML under OE.
In Newsgroups HTML it used to be strictly forbidden.
And as far as mail is concerned I only used it on rare occacions (like
birthday greetings).
The same now in WinMail and even in Outlook.

And I'm really glad that the great "Community Forms NNTP bridge" by J.
Kalmbach comes with a fine text converter ;-)

Thanks again
Rainald
P.S. On occasions I used the following signature bg:
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /

Old July 8th 10, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

FromTheRafters wrote:
"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

MS is killing _*ALL*_ NGs in favour of the "Forums". {siiigh}

The German NGs are mostly dead meanwhile.
The same will happen to this group sooner or later. :-(

Microsoft cannot kill the group, we are invincible. D

They can, however, stop hosting them on their servers.

Which means that then they are brain dead.
Even if they were mirrored by other providers which do not shut down
their servers there is no use at all to further use these dead groups
for further discussions.

A majority of the German MS-groups has been shut down already. So I'm
experienced with what happens when MS pills the plug :-(

Rainald

Old July 9th 10, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

FromTheRafters wrote:
"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

It might pretty well be that I might be missing something.
But - honestly speaking - which advantages would OE under XP-mode
have over WinMail?

I would miss the 'source edit' function.

How come?
WinMail has it!
Any notable differences in so far?

Rainald