Movement of Windows XP Outlook Express contacts into Windows Vista Microsoft Outlook 2007

Old September 20th 09, 02:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
L.A.

Default Movement of Windows XP Outlook Express contacts into Windows Vista Microsoft Outlook 2007

I have nearly 3000 contacts I have used for nearly 6 years now in Outlook
Express. This requires me to maintain Groupings of contacts, Plumbers,
Electricians, etc.etc. so that I can find them when I need them. Problem is
that the groupings are not movable apparently. I am currently moving them
one by one.

My question is: Why can't we "Sort" with in the groups by last name as well
as first name assending and desending? If I specify one of the columns
viewed as last name, will it change the imputing process for importing and
then allow me to sort by last name?

L.A.

Old September 20th 09, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Need more information and clearer information. Explain what a "grouping" is.
That term has no meaning. Specify how you migrated your data from Outlook
Express (which does not exist on Vista) into Outlook 2007. Clarify what view
you are trying to sort now.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 22nd 09, 01:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"L.A." wrote in message

I have nearly 3000 contacts I have used for nearly 6 years now in Outlook
Express. This requires me to maintain Groupings of contacts, Plumbers,
Electricians, etc.etc. so that I can find them when I need them. Problem is
that the groupings are not movable apparently. I am currently moving them one
by one.

My question is: Why can't we "Sort" with in the groups by last name as well
as first name assending and desending? If I specify one of the columns
viewed as last name, will it change the imputing process for importing and
then allow me to sort by last name?

The Outlook Express construct of a "group" is most similar to the Outlook item
"Distribution List". The problem, though, is that OE groups don't import well
into Outlook. I've had the import succeed in creating Distribution Lists on a
few occasions, but in the majority of occasions, it doesn't work.

What you describe may best be handled by using "categories". Assign the
category "Plumber" to one of your contacts who is a plumber. Display your
Contacts folder in the By Category view, select the other plumbers, and drag
the selection to the "Plumber" category. Now to the same with the category
"Electrician", and so on. The By Category view will give you instant viewing
of contacts in each category. You can even have contacts in more than one
category if they are, say, a plumber and an electrician.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]