How to use Outlook Express in Windows 7

Old July 10th 10, 12:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
FromTheRafters[_2_]

Default How to use Outlook Express in Windows 7

"Rainald Taesler" wrote in message
FromTheRafters wrote:
"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

It might pretty well be that I might be missing something.
But - honestly speaking - which advantages would OE under XP-mode
have over WinMail?

I would miss the 'source edit' function.

How come?
WinMail has it!
Any notable differences in so far?

My mistake, I was thinking Windows Live Mail Desktop, not Windows Mail.

Do you have Windows Mail on Windows 7?

Old July 12th 10, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

FromTheRafters wrote:
"Rainald Taesler" wrote:
FromTheRafters wrote:
"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

It might pretty well be that I might be missing something.
But - honestly speaking - which advantages would OE under XP-mode
have over WinMail?

I would miss the 'source edit' function.

How come?
WinMail has it!
Any notable differences in so far?

My mistake, I was thinking Windows Live Mail Desktop, not Windows
Mail.

Oh I see.
I for one *hate* WLM.

Do you have Windows Mail on Windows 7?

Yes! Wirks really fine.
That's why I had said when asking Steve Chogran ;-)

Rainald

Old July 14th 10, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rainald Taesler

Steve Cochran wrote:
I wasn't trying to tell people what to do. Just providing options to
people, who want what they have to continue.

Well understood.
And I did not all want be criticizing!

I had just been wondering whether there might be relevant reason to make
the move back to OE.

Thanks again
Rainald

"Rainald Taesler" wrote in message
Steve Cochran wrote:
Several have wondered if there is anyway to use OE (or WinMail in
Vista) in Windows 7.

This page addresses some of the potential means to do so:
http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

Thanks a lot for the info, Steve!

Option #1 (avoid upgrading to Win7) IMHO not really is an option.
Win7 has to offer so much more over XP that the possibility of a
further usage of OE (which not really was a "masterpiece" {siiigh})
IMHO would not be the slightest reason to stay away from Win7.
He who wants to stick with old XP and avoid to get accustomed to the
current OS might find an excuse for being reluctant, however. ;-) ;-)

Options #2 and #3 (XP-mode or some other VM) have been mentioned in
discussions in the German community more or less in a joking manner.
I agree with this approach.

I for one am using the XP-mode (even bought a new machine with Intel
VT) because I can hardly work with one of my main apps under Win7
(whereas it worked pretty well under Vista).
But I really do not even think of doing my mail things under the
XP-mode (or any other VM).
What for?

WinMail happily runs on my Win7 machines!*)
So what?

It might pretty well be that I might be missing something.
But - honestly speaking - which advantages would OE under XP-mode
have over WinMail?

TIA
Rainald
*) The only problem that ever appeared was a "Win Security Update" a
while ago (around May 12).
Left alone the time needed for handling all the cries on the German
community gbg it didn't take more than half an hour to fix the
problem by copying over the updated version of MSOE.dll from Vista

Old July 14th 10, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DAS[_2_]

Why would you want to do that, if you have made a successful move to
another?

However good OE is, it is marooned. Knowing this, I have to get to grips --
very reluctantly -- with a move out OE while it is still relatively easy in
XP.

My issue is that I have many messages in bold and red-flagged, markings I do
not wish to lose. It just occurred to me that I could create dedicated
folders to hold them (inbox ref flag, sent bold etc) if all else fails.
Would just take hours to transfer them...

DAS

To reply directly replace 'nospam' with 'schmetterling'
--
[...]

Old July 14th 10, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rick Chauvin

"DAS" wrote in message

Why would you want to do that, if you have made a successful move to
another?

However good OE is, it is marooned. Knowing this, I have to get to grips
-- very reluctantly -- with a move out OE while it is still relatively
easy in XP.

My issue is that I have many messages in bold and red-flagged, markings
I do not wish to lose. It just occurred to me that I could create

If you don't wish to loose them (because when they delete them off the
server they will auto remove out of your OE) ...then you'd better right
click to create a New Folder off of Local Folders, then go back and
highlight all the messages in this group that you want, then right click on
them and in one quick swoop copy them to that folder you just made.

dedicated folders to hold them (inbox ref flag, sent bold etc) if all
else fails. Would just take hours to transfer them...

Actually it would just take minutes.....

Rick

DAS

Old July 15th 10, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DAS[_2_]

1. I don't normally keep msgs on the IPS's server. And my OE store is part
of my daily (online offsire) backup. I don't know from where you get the
idea "because when they delete them off the server they will auto remove out
of your OE" applies to all circumstances.

2. Regarding time taken you don't know how many msgs I have in the Inbox
and Sent folders... However, your comment about time made me think again and
it would probably take less time than I thought as I remembered I can at
least sort out the red-flagged msgs.

I have to check properly whether I can group the bold ones as "unread" so
get them together that way...I did not see that possibility with a quick
look.

Old July 15th 10, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
mac

"DAS" wrote in message

I have to check properly whether I can group the bold ones as "unread" so
get them together that way...I did not see that possibility with a quick
look.

ViewCurrent ViewHide read messages.

--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. MAIL. [DTS] UK.

Old July 15th 10, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Rick Chauvin

"DAS" wrote in message

1. I don't normally keep msgs on the IPS's server. And my OE store is

I never meant that you keep them on the ISP nor anywhere else but in your
own computers standard dbx store, just as you have said you do.

By your questions below I don't think you understood what I was saying on
all counts, I'll try better this time.

part of my daily (online offsire) backup. I don't know from where you
get the idea "because when they delete them off the server they will
auto remove out of your OE" applies to all circumstances.

No it does not apply to the circumstances of which I've already explained
how to do it yesterday by creating a new subfolder (or a dozen of them) off
of your Local Folder Listing, and then copying whatever newsgroup messages
you want to that folder. Once you have them copied to that new local branch
folder no one but you can delete them.

2. Regarding time taken you don't know how many msgs I have in the Inbox
and Sent folders... However, your comment about time made me think again

It doesn't matter how many... sure though 100 MB of data takes a little
longer than 50 MB of data, and guessing off-hand 100 MB of newsgroup email
might be two thousand emails. 100 Mb of data just takes a few minutes to
copy anyway.

and it would probably take less time than I thought as I remembered I
can at least sort out the red-flagged msgs.

If you select to have your red flagged messages sorted to the top
(ViewSort By Flag + Descending) then as said just like you do with
files in a Windows folder that you want to copy, you simply highlight the
first and last file/email even if there are hundreds - you highlight the
first file and hold down the Shift button, then highlight the last file,
and the result now is all the files in-between are all highlighted, now
while holding the Shift button again you then right click anywhere on those
highlighted group of files/emails and right click and select where it says
Copy To Folder, and the Navagation box that comes up you point it to the
name of that New Folder you create off of your Local Folders pane like I
mentioned how to do yesterday. You see once you copy any newsgroups emails
over to your Local Folders new folder name, then it will stay there forever
no matter what MS does to their newsgroups.

(another alternative Instead of holding down the Shift key to get all files
in-between, you can just hold the Ctrl key and then skip around as you
highlight emails not in order and when you get all the ones you want
highlighted, you then right click on them and select Copy To Folder....

I have to check properly whether I can group the bold ones as "unread" so
get them together that way...I did not see that possibility with a quick
look.

answered above

good luck

Old July 15th 10, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
DAS[_2_]

Rick

At *no* point will my msgs in my Inbox be wiped by any external action,
irrespective of folder, default OE inbox or local. I think the
misunderstanding arises from the fact that you are speaking of NG posts
(where I do agree that they will disappear if the server goes) and I am
speaking of ordinary e-mail ("...copying whatever newsgroup messages you
want to that folder...").

I don't think I ever mentioned NG posts in this discussion.

I did not mean that the act of moving takes time. It is the act of
selection. Highlighting individual messages, even when using the ctrl
button to select, will take time. But, as I said, I realised I can group
red-flagged msgs, making moving them easy and quick (as you have indeed
described).

And, as mac reminded me, one can hide read msgs, leaving only the
bolded/unread ones, allowing one to move the 'unread' msgs as a block as
well.

Thanks for your input anyway.