Outlook object model guard

Old December 29th 06, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Mark Priem

Default Outlook object model guard

Hi there!

I'm having a really strange issue.

A client of mine uses a vb6 application to send out emails using
methods provided by the msmapi32.ocx activeX component. They
implemented the outlook security template ages ago and added the
credentials of the account running the application to it, to allow it
to send out emails and access the address book.
Now all of a sudden (I also get the chivers when someone sais that) the
object model guard of outlook is blocking the sending it out of emails.
I checked the code and it uses the MapiSession control to logon to an
existing outlook profile (using Logon() method). It then uses the
MapiMessages control to send out the emails (using Send() method). The
mails are "SEND AS" the mailboxes in the mailprofile. These are
disabled useraccounts with mailbox, which are also added to the
template.

I checked the client registry for the existence of the CheckAdminSettings
DWORD. It exists at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Secu rity
and when I open the users mailprofile using outlook it has the
"Administrator/User controlled" security mode set. (I also checked the other
profiles that are used in the vb program)

The strange thing is that the pop-up only appears when more than 3 messages
are being sent out.

I created a vbscript using the MAPI.Session and MAPI.Messages COM objects
and when I use the users own profile, it works. When I use another profile it
doesn't.

All profiles use online mode exchange and have their mailbox as the default
location for maildelivery.

Any ideas???
Old December 29th 06, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

FWIW I've never heard of Administrator/User controlled. It's default, user
or administrator.

If it used to work and doesn't now, what changed?

What happens if you set up new profiles and try that?

It's no comfort but I've never heard of the object model guard kicking in
after 3 messages but allowing the first ones through. Just on the off
chance, did that machine recently update IE to IE7?

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old December 29th 06, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
mpriem

I checked several workstations here and they all have
"administrator/user controlled" as security mode when opening [HELP]
[About....].

I recreated the user profiles and tested it, but without luck. Also IE7
is not installed.

The security template is working. I tested it by adding/removing users
from the template en reposting it.

Are there any other settings that can interfere with the security
settings for outlook (GPO's for example)????

Old December 29th 06, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

I know nothing about GPO's.

The real question is what changed? If it worked before and stopped working
then something must have changed, either on the server or on the client.
Check for any recent updates, any new software installed and make sure that
you don't have any incoming/outgoing email anti-virus scanning going on in
Outlook.

That's about all I can think of. The symptoms and problems are new to me and
I can't find anything about them by googling either, so you might just have
to open a support incident with MS PSS after the holidays and see what they
can turn up about the problem.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old January 2nd 07, 09:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
mpriem

I cannot think of anything that has changed. The mailboxes where move a
few days earlier, but the problem did not occur immidiate after those
moves. Could that be the issue?
There was also a patchingcycle the day before. All patches have been
removed, but still the problem persisted. I'll try to contact MS

Thanks Ken, for you help!

Old January 2nd 07, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Moved mailboxes could be a problem. The SID's for the moved mailboxes will
have changed. I'd remove the old entries for those mailboxes and re-add the
mailboxes you want. If that doesn't help I'm out of ideas.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old January 3rd 07, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
mpriem

Ok, we solved it..

This is what happened:

In Outlook 2003 SP2 there was a change, that Outlook always, if it
tries to access a public folder first contacts its home server (stored
in the Outlook profile). The home server gives back an EcWrongServer
and the referral to the server where the Public Folder is located.
In Exchange SP2 there was a change that if Exchange had to send an
EcWrongServer more than 5 times in 10 seconds it will respond with a
EcServerPaused what will end up in a MAPI error MAPI_E_FAILONPROVIDER.
This error message causes, that the Outlook client is not able to find
the Outlook security form and as a result it will show the security
warning.
The issue only occurs, if the home server of the mailbox/user used is
not the one, that also holds the Outlook security settings public
folder, what is true in my environment.

To work around this issue, there is a possibility to force Outlook not
to contact the home server first when searching for a public
folder.What we need to do is, we need to remove or rename the registry
key, where the home server is stored in the Outlook profile.
Please try to rename the following registry key on the profile of the
user you use to send the emails:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging
Subsystem\Profiles\profile\13dbb0c8aa05101a9bb00 0aa002fc45a]

Rename the property "001e6612" to "001e6612_old" and try if the
issue still occurs when sending a bigger number of emails using your
application.
Another solution would be to move the mailboxes to a server containing
the public folder or to add replica's.

Also regarding the Security Mode "Administrator/User controlled"

This is indeed a valid mode. It is called the
"Outlook_security_combined_mode"
It is enabled when the following setting is set in the security
template:
"Allow users to lower attachments to level 2"

The client will then have the following registry key added:
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Secur ity\Level1Remove"

Old January 3rd 07, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Interesting. I never would have thought of that, and since my public folders
are on the same server as my Exchange 2003 I never would have been able to
repro it. Thanks for posting this information, and I'm glad that PSS was
able to help you so quickly.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]