Outlook object model guard crisis

Old December 29th 06, 09:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mpriem

Default Outlook object model guard crisis

Hi there,

A client of mine uses a vb6 application to send out emails using
methods provided by the msmapi32.ocx activeX component. They
implemented the outlook security template ages ago and added the
credentials of the account running the application to it, to allow it
to send out emails and access the address book.
Now all of a sudden (I also get the chivers when someone sais that) the
object model guard of outlook is blocking the sending it out of emails.
I checked the code and it uses the MapiSession control to logon to an
existing outlook profile (using Logon() method). It then uses the
MapiMessages control to send out the emails (using Send() method). The
mails are "SEND AS" the mailboxes in the mailprofile. These are
disabled useraccounts with mailbox, which are also added to the
template.

I checked the following:

- The administrative template is correctly configured (published,
configured reviewer permissions for default/anonymous)
- The registry setting for the user running the application is set
correctly.
- When opening all profiles used by the profile with outlook, the
template is visible.
- The mail profiles do not use cached mode exchange.
- The default mail delivery location for all profiles is mailbox.

There are a few strange things happening:
- When I run a custom vbscript using MAPI code the model guard does not
block any methods for the user. When using an user who is not added to
the template it does. This tells me the template is working.
- The object model guard does not always block the emails. When only a
few emails need to be sent out, everything goed well most of the time.
When more than 6 need to be sent out, it starts blocking the emails
with the nagging popups.

Does anyone have any ideas????
How can I tell that the template is correctly implemented??
Are there any regkeys I can check to see if it works??
Are there any limitations to using email profiles to SEND AS the
mailbox?
Does it matter that the user accounts for the mailprofiles used are
disabled???

Old December 29th 06, 12:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Look on the Help | About Microsoft Outlook dialog: What does it say for Security Mode?

If the behavior changed, then it's almost certain that something in the client or server configuration changed to cause the change in behavior.

The ideal solution, of course, would be to use a different method other than that .ocx to send the messages -- CDO for Windows or Outlook Redemption would both be better and avoid the prompts.

FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for general Outlook programming issues "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba or, via web interface, at http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm....program_v ba
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old December 29th 06, 01:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mpriem

It states Administrator/User controlled.

About changing the code; I brought that up, but they did not want to
change the code. It worked before.
It is not an option for now.

The strange thing is that when using the profile of user executing the
program, all goes well.
When another profile is used, only 2 - 3 messages are being sent out
and then the pop-up appears.

Thanks!

Old December 29th 06, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mpriem

Sorry to disappoint you but it really does state Administrator/User
controlled.

Also the regkey is set properly:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Secu rity

Dword CheckAdminSettings=1

We are using Outlook 2003 sp2

Can you confirm that using different profiles within a vb app will not
pose any limitations?

Old December 29th 06, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Can you confirm that using different profiles within a vb app will not
pose any limitations?

Sorry, but I don't know what you have in mind. Only one Outlook mail profile can be running at a time.

Old December 29th 06, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mpriem

I mean that the vb app logs on and off to different profiles in
sequence.
I reproduced a similar issue at my own workstation.

I created a mailprofile for an user and gave my own credentials full
mailbox access.

When I use a script to send emails through simple mapi using my own
profile, all goes well.
When I use the same script to send emails through the other users
profile, it generates a popup.

Thanks,

Mark

Old December 29th 06, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

The primary mailbox for the other profile would need to be included in the security settings folder item that relaxes the object model guard.

Did any of the mailboxes recently move from one server to another?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 2nd 07, 08:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
mpriem

Yes,

Several of them.

Kind Regards,

Mark

Old January 2nd 07, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Perhpas part of the problem is that the mail profiles that you are using for those mailboxes need to be updated. I'd update the security settings item as well.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP