Problem with resizing standard controls in Outlook 2007 custom for

Old January 18th 07, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
sergeya

Default Problem with resizing standard controls in Outlook 2007 custom for

Outlook version: OL2007 (12.0.4518.1014) MSO (12.0.4518.1014) OS version:
Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

1. A custom form is designed based on the standard email form, inherited
from standard IPM.Note.
Custom form contains 2 standard controls: subject field and a message
control, both controls have "Automatically resize with form" checkbox
enabled.

2. Steps to reproduce:
- Create the form and save as .oft file
- Open custom form using "Tools-Forms-Choose Form", select "look In"
location "User Templates in File System", browse to saved .oft file and open
it.
- Select subject control in the custom form (selected by default)
- Try to resize the main window: subject and message controls resize OK with
it.
- Change focus to any other window
- Change focus back to the custom form
- Click on the message control in the custom form (this is important! -
resizing works correctly until message control in the custom form is selected)
- Try to resize the main window again: subject and message controls in the
custom form are not resized with the form.

The problem persists until next Outlook restart.

Any workarounds of fixes ?
Old January 19th 07, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Thanks for the detailed steps. Did you do anything while in design mode to change the position or size of the subject and message controls? You didn't say, so I improvised by making both a little bit narrower. When I created a new item with the form, the message control was nearly twice as high and twice as wide as on the original designed form (which I still had open for comparison).

When you say the problem persists until the next Outlook restart, do you mean it affects all items, even those not created with this form?

There's definitely something weird going on with the message control. I have a Vista system where it's messed up so badly that on some forms it doesn't show up at all in design mode.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 19th 07, 01:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
sergeya

Default Problem with resizing standard controls in Outlook 2007 custom

Sue,

1. In case if Message form from Standard Forms Library is opened in Design
mode and published with no changes, everything works fine. In case if any
change is made to any control on the form, e.g. remove one of the controls or
change any size or position - resizing breaks as described below, regardless
whether custom form is opened from the .oft file or from personal library.
Again, it breaks only after click into Message control happens.

After resizing problem occured once, it happens every time the custom form
is run from the libabry or disk, until Outlook restart. Looks like it does
not affect items except for Design mode.

After erroneous situation occurs, Design mode is broken - To, CC, Subject
and Message controls in Message form from Standard Forms Library are
displayed in half the size and width. After Outlook restart Message form in
design mode looks fine again (if forms were not saved)

Looks like a bug in OL2007 - any feedback from MS ?

-Sergey

Old January 19th 07, 03:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

I'm still a little confused about the repro steps. Your first repro steps implied that the effect is seen at runtime, but the later message says it's broken in design mode. Is it a problem in both? Maybe you could try again to give us an exact sequence of steps to follow to both create the form with the problem and reproduce the bad behavior itself.

Are you using any form regions? I can get the bad behavior I'm seeing (which may be different from yours) to reproduce consistently only when I have a form region also action for IPM.Note.

Also, is your screen resolution set to 96dpi, the default?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old January 19th 07, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms
sergeya

My apologies for the confusion, we first discovered the resizing
problem while running the form from the .oft file. After our first
exchange I tried to design and immediately publish the form and
arrived to the same resizing error. Then I went back to forms design
mode and found that design mode seems broken as well as resizing
behavior, please check if I am correct.

My screen resolution is standard for my monitor 1280x1026,
not sure how many dpi that is…

Here are the steps to reproduce this strange behavior:

1.Go to “Tools/Forms/Design a Form…”, ‘Look In’ is set to
“Standard Forms Library”. Select “Message” form (IPM.Note
class) and click Open. The form is opened in design mode and all
controls have correct size.
2.Do not make any changes in the form.
- Select “Run this form” from the “Form” ribbon in design view of
this form and check resizing, all controls are resized correctly
with the form.
- Close the runtime form, design form stays open.
3.Do not make any changes in the form.
- Select “Publish/Publish Form As…” from the “Form” ribbon in
design view of this form and publish it into Personal Forms
Library under name Message00.
- Close the form in design mode, click ‘No’ on ‘save changes’
popup.
- Go to “Tools/Forms/Choose a Form…”, select Personal Forms
Library, select Message00 form that was published previously.
- Check resizing, all controls are resized correctly with the form..
- Please note that all form has default Outlook 2007 theme
(default bluish in my case)
- close the form
4.Go to “Tools/Forms/Design a Form…”, ‘Look In’ is set to
“Standard Forms Library”. Select “Message” form (IPM.Note
class) and click Open. The form is opened in design mode and all
controls have correct size.
5.Do a minor change on this form, I moved the ‘CC’ button one
notch down.
6.Select “Publish/Publish Form As…” from the “Form” ribbon in
design view of this form and publish it into Personal Forms
Library under name Message01
7.Close the form in design mode, click ‘No’ on ‘save changes’
popup.
8.Go to “Tools/Forms/Choose a Form…”, select Personal Forms
Library, select Message01 form that was published previously.
9.Note that side and bottom part of the form are grey now, not
bluish.
10.By default the focus and cursor is in the To field, do not change
the focus. Check resizing the form, all controls are resized
correctly with the form.
11.Click or Alt-Tab outside the form to main Outlook 2007 window
or any other window, then click or Alt-tab to bring the focus back
to the form. Click inside the message control to bring the cursor
there.
12.Check resizing of the form: now the address, subject and
message controls are not resized with the form, which
constitutes erroneous situation #1.
13.Close the running form
14.Go to “Tools/Forms/Design a Form…”, ‘Look In’ is set to
“Standard Forms Library”. Select original “Message” form
(IPM.Note class) and click Open. The form is opened in design
mode but address, subject and message controls are half the
size of the form, which constitutes erroneous situation #2.
15.Close the form in design mode, click ‘No’ on ‘save changes’
popup.
16.Close and restart Outlook
17.Go to “Tools/Forms/Design a Form…”, ‘Look In’ is set to
“Standard Forms Library”. Select original “Message” form
(IPM.Note class) and click Open. The form is opened in design
mode and now all controls have correct size.

Thanks,