'Show names from the' show LAST name, not FIRST

Old August 31st 09, 05:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
tjsmags

Default 'Show names from the' show LAST name, not FIRST

When composing a new distribution list using Outlook 2003, I clicked on
'Select members' and changed the 'Show names from the' to be an 'Outlook
Address book' public folder I set up called Students. This is where all our
students are listed. But, the Name column in this (as other address books)
is shown by FIRST name...yuck! How do I change it to list by LAST name and
not first name?
--
Thank you.

Old August 31st 09, 10:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Go to Tools E-mail accounts View or change existing directories or
address books Outlook Address Book Change… Set your sort order there

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 9th 09, 09:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Ulf

I have exactly the same problem, but your solution doesn't work. I have every
my address book sorted by last name, but when I create a distribution list it
is sorted by first name, and I can't find any way to change this. It's very
annoying and makes it very difficult to administrate the distribution lists.

Old September 9th 09, 11:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not here. DL's follow the same order that is set for the address book view.
Of course we have no idea which type of DL you're actually using.
DL's are such a deprecated feature that most people avoid using them.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 9th 09, 12:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Ulf

I am using a standard DL in Outlook 2003 SP3 but as far as I remember it was
the same problem with previous versions of Outlook. I think the feature would
be much more appreciated if Microsoft could fix this obviuos bug.

Before you suggest it - I don't intend to upgrade to the latest Office - I
don't know if the bug is still there and I don't like the way Word 2007 is
changed.

Old September 9th 09, 02:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

If you created this DL in another folder than the one it's in now or
migrated it from an earlier installation, it won't abide by the settings.
DL's have never been reliable or robust. They will not be improved. As I
said, they are a deprecated feature. Most users look for alternatives for
grouping recipients.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 9th 09, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Ulf

Such as ...?

Old September 9th 09, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The ones we post here daily: Categories, Separate Contact Folders, Filtered
or custom views of Contacts Folders.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]