Unable to link Contacts to Address Book

Old November 6th 08, 06:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
NP2

Default Unable to link Contacts to Address Book

I just migrated from Windows XP, Outlook 2007 on one laptop to Windows Vista
64-bit with (different license) Outlook 2007. I used Windows Easy Transer to
do the migration.

My Outlook Address Book is completely blank -- there are no choices at all.
Outlook Address Book is installed as a service. When I open Properties for
any of the Contacts folders, the option to make the folder appear in Outlook
Address book is unchecked and grayed out.

I have tried adding a new Contacts folder -- no luck, the option is still
grayed out. I have tried creating a new PST folder, and adding a Contacts
Folder. Still grayed out.

I checked my PST folder on my old laptop, and all my sub folders have a
checkbox that is enabled to make the folder part of Outlook Address Book
(except for the default Contacts folder, which is grayed out, but checked).

I then tried copying the "good" PST over to the correct directory on my new
computer, and opening it using File|Open|Outlook Data File. No luck, the
checkbox was grayed out on all my folders.

I have run Repair on my Office installation. No change.

Is there additional information you need to help me diagnose this issue?
Old November 6th 08, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon[_4_]

"NP2" wrote in message
I just migrated from Windows XP, Outlook 2007 on one laptop to Windows
Vista
64-bit with (different license) Outlook 2007. I used Windows Easy Transer
do the migration.

Unfortunately WET is well known to mess up Outlook.

[...]

You've probably got a corrupted Mail profile. Create a new one (Control
panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add) and add the existing pst file to it. See if
that cures it...

Old November 6th 08, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
NP2

Gordon YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!! The problem was the corrupted Mail profile. Your
solution worked like a charm.

Old November 6th 08, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"NP2" wrote in message

I just migrated from Windows XP, Outlook 2007 on one laptop to Windows
Vista
64-bit with (different license) Outlook 2007. I used Windows Easy Transer
do the migration.

Windows Easy Transfer always creates a corrupt mail profile. It should
never be used to transfer Outlook data. That's been posted in this
newsgroup multple times.

My Outlook Address Book is completely blank -- there are no choices at
all.
Outlook Address Book is installed as a service. When I open Properties for
any of the Contacts folders, the option to make the folder appear in
Outlook
Address book is unchecked and grayed out.

You need a new mail profile to repair the Outlook Address Book service.

I have run Repair on my Office installation. No change.

This never affects the mail profile, so it was pointless to try it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 11th 08, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Catherine

I'v had the exact problem, to create a new Mail profile do I have to delete
the Outlook file that is showing (Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add) .
Should I delete and add it back in.

Old November 11th 08, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon[_4_]

"Catherine" wrote in message
I'v had the exact problem, to create a new Mail profile do I have to
delete
the Outlook file that is showing (Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add) .
Should I delete and add it back in.

No, just create a new profile in that dialog box.