Contact information does not appear in address the book in Outlook

Old March 9th 06, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Alan

Default Contact information does not appear in address the book in Outlook

After reinstalling Windows XP Pro + SP2, and Office XP + SP3 on a reformatted
drive, I imported the previously working copy of contacts.pst into Outlook,
where it resides in c:\documents and settings\[name]\local
settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\. Within Outlook, the folder is
evident in the folder list.

I can also see all the contact info in the Outlook contacts view and can
initiate a new email from the contacts view, but I can not access contact
info when starting a new email from the inbox.

I followed the directions exactly as contained in Article ID 287563. At the
first step 3, I cancelled out because "Outlook Address Book" appeared in the
View or Change Existing Directories or Address Books window.

I then verified that "Show this Folder as an e-mail address book" was
checked in the "Properties for your folder name" box (It was checked
previously).

I still can not access the address book when initiating a new email from the
inbox or any other folder of emails.

Old March 9th 06, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Alan wrote:

After reinstalling Windows XP Pro + SP2, and Office XP + SP3 on a
reformatted drive, I imported the previously working copy of
contacts.pst into Outlook, where it resides in c:\documents and
settings\[name]\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\.
Within Outlook, the folder is evident in the folder list.

Importing from a PST is never the way to load data.

I can also see all the contact info in the Outlook contacts view and
can initiate a new email from the contacts view, but I can not access
contact info when starting a new email from the inbox.

I followed the directions exactly as contained in Article ID 287563.
At the first step 3, I cancelled out because "Outlook Address Book"
appeared in the View or Change Existing Directories or Address Books
window.

I then verified that "Show this Folder as an e-mail address book" was
checked in the "Properties for your folder name" box (It was checked
previously).

I still can not access the address book when initiating a new email
from the inbox or any other folder of emails.

What do you mean "can not access"? Do you mean that when you click the
Address Book icon on the tool bar that nothing happens?

Were I you, I'd remove the Outlook Address Book service from the mail
profile, stop and restart Outlook, and add it back in again.
--
Brian Tillman

Old March 9th 06, 11:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Alan

Default Contact information does not appear in address the book in Out

Thank you for your reply, Brian.

Importing from a PST is never the way to load data.

Your comment would be more helpful if you would explain the correct way, if
this is wrong.

What do you mean "can not access"? Do you mean that when you click the
Address Book icon on the tool bar that nothing happens?

In a new message, when clicking on the "To" icon, there are no names in the
select names dialog box, even though when I go to the contacts page, it has
my full address book.

Were I you, I'd remove the Outlook Address Book service from the mail
profile, stop and restart Outlook, and add it back in again.

At your suggestion, I tried this, with no improvement.

Alan

Old March 13th 06, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Alan wrote:

At your suggestion, I tried this, with no improvement.

Did you then enable your Contacts folder as an address book?
--
Brian Tillman
Old March 14th 06, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

I am also having a similar problem. I was sent some contact cards via
email as namexxx.msg file attachments. Per the instructions I double
clicked each one then did a Save and Close. They appear in my Contacts
folder. But when creating an email by selecting New - Mail Message,
then selecting the To: field they do not appear. All of my previous
contacts do appear. Some of them had a custom category added in the
Master Category List of the previous person, but not all. I added a
new category to my Master Category List and put them all in it, but
that did not help. Also, if I do a Tools - Address Book, they are not
shown in the Contacts folder. Again if the Contacts folder is selected
under the list of folders, they are there. Where is the disconnect?

Old March 14th 06, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Open each one and make sure that it has an underlined (resolved) email address.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old March 14th 06, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

Thanks. That's the problem. Some of them do not have an email address
included.

Old March 14th 06, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

And therefore they won't appear in the Address Book. Glad you found the problem.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old March 14th 06, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
[email protected]

Old March 16th 06, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Alan

Hi Sue,

Would you please look at my original message on this string? It is still a
problem. I checked all entries in my address book and each is resolved.

Thanks.

Alan