Restored .pst file, lost contacts and Inbox mail

Old May 27th 08, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
whizzywyg

Default Restored .pst file, lost contacts and Inbox mail

Issue: I do not have any contacts and I cannot see any of the emails that
were in my inbox prior to reformatting my hard drive.

Operating System - Windows XP
Office/Outlook Version - 2003

1) Made a backup of my .pst files to an external hard drive.
2) Reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled apps using manufacturer's CD,
which included Windows XP and Office 2003.
3) Ran the Windows Update several times to make sure I had all the up to
date service packs, updates, etc for both Windows XP and Office 2003.
4) Reconnected my email account to my ISP for Outlook
5) Restored my .pst file from external hard drive
6) Went into Outlook 2003 and chose File -- Options -- Mail Setup -- Data
Files and pointed to my .pst file.
7) All my folders/subfolders for email were/are there with all their messages
8) Inbox, however, does NOT contain all the messages that were in there when
I made the backup of the .pst
9) None of my contacts are showing up

Extra Note: Prior to reformatting, I had 'Outlook with Business Contacts'
installed. I was not sure what this was for and since I only use this at
home for personal use, I did NOT reinstall that after the reformat. Is that
the problem for both my email issue and my lost contacts issue?

Thanks,
Whizzy
Old May 27th 08, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The relevant information you should have provided is how you created your
backup and how you restored it. You appear to have done so incorrectly or
for the wrong file.
BCM is an entirely different application. If you were using that instead of
Outlook, it would be highly relevant.
There is no information here anyone can use to help.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 27th 08, 10:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
whizzywyg

Ok, I will install BCM and see if my contacts come back. Here is how I
created my backup and restored it:
1) Backup - I use a one-touch external hard drive and I chose to make a
complete backup of my hard drive, excluding some of the system components
within the Windows folder that it would not allow me to. I store my .pst
files in a special folder called Outlook that is within MyDocuments so I
simply configured my external hard drive to include a backup of the
MyDocuments/Outlook folder. I configure Outlook to look at the .pst files in
MyDocuments/Outlook instead of using the standard ones buried umpteen levels
deep.
2) Restore - I restored the .pst files from the external hard drive. Using
Windows Explorer, I simply did a drag and drop from MyDocuments/Outlook on
the external hard drive to MyDocuments/Outlook on my computer's hard drive.
I then re-configured Outlook by opening the Outlook 2003 application and
choosing File -- Options -- Mail Setup -- Data Files and pointed to my
..pst file within MyDocuments/Outlook.
3) When I couldn't see my contacts, I then opened the Outlook 2003
application and went to File--Import and Export--Import from another
program or file--Personal Folder File (.pst)-- Used the Browse button to
point to the .pst file on my external hard drive, chose Replace duplicates
with items imported, and chose Next to import the .pst file.

Is that better?

Whizzy

Old May 27th 08, 11:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not much, unless you think, "I chose to make a complete backup of my hard
drive" tells us anything. The possibilities are endless, as are the
possibilities for errors.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 28th 08, 01:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

whizzywyg wrote:

1) Made a backup of my .pst files to an external hard drive.

Exactly how did you make this backuip?

7) All my folders/subfolders for email were/are there with all their
messages 8) Inbox, however, does NOT contain all the messages that
were in there when I made the backup of the .pst

If you made the backup correctly, then the data must be there.

9) None of my contacts are showing up

Showing up where? If you performed the backup and restore correctly,
they'll be in your Contacts folder.

Extra Note: Prior to reformatting, I had 'Outlook with Business
Contacts' installed. I was not sure what this was for and since I
only use this at home for personal use, I did NOT reinstall that
after the reformat. Is that the problem for both my email issue and
my lost contacts issue?

BCM has its own Contacts, in addition to the normal Outlook Contacts. It's
conceivable that is what happened. Where you keeping your contacts in the
"Business Contacts"?
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 28th 08, 01:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

whizzywyg wrote:

I store my .pst files in a special folder called Outlook that is
within MyDocuments so I simply configured my external hard drive to
include a backup of the MyDocuments/Outlook folder. I configure
Outlook to look at the .pst files in MyDocuments/Outlook instead of
using the standard ones buried umpteen levels deep.

If Outlook was closed when you did this, the copy _should_ be OK.

2) Restore - I restored the .pst files from the external hard drive.
Using Windows Explorer, I simply did a drag and drop from
MyDocuments/Outlook on the external hard drive to MyDocuments/Outlook
on my computer's hard drive. I then re-configured Outlook by opening
the Outlook 2003 application and choosing File -- Options -- Mail
Setup -- Data Files and pointed to my .pst file within
MyDocuments/Outlook.

This doesn't make the PST your delivery location, however.

3) When I couldn't see my contacts, I then
opened the Outlook 2003 application and went to File--Import and
Export--Import from another program or file--Personal Folder File
(.pst)-- Used the Browse button to point to the .pst file on my
external hard drive, chose Replace duplicates with items imported,
and chose Next to import the .pst file.

Importing from a PST loses data and can cause unwanted side effects in the
mail profile. You're better off reconfiguring your mail profile via the
Mail applet in Control Panel.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old May 28th 08, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
whizzywyg

Thanks, Brian: I really don’t think I’m using BCM. Is there an easy way to
tell? I don’t recall installing BCM, I just remember seeing a reference to
it somewhere when I was preparing to reformat my hard drive (maybe the
Microsoft Office Compatibility Pak so that I can open Office 2007
documents??). I don’t remember where I saw it as I didn’t pay any attention
to it since I didn’t think I was using it. I just use straight Outlook, as
far as I know via Office 2003 Professional. If I did have it and there was a
separate backup/restore process I needed to do for it, I was unaware.

In case you can see anything faulty in my process, here is what I did. I'll
start over to try and give you as much detail as possible:

1) Created a file called Personal.pst as follows: Outlook App -- Tools --
Options -- Mail Setup -- Data Files -- Add -- Highlighted Office Outlook
Personal Folders File (.pst) and clicked on Ok -- Entered ‘Personal.pst’ for
the file name and clicked on OK. This created the personal.pst file in:
Local Disk C: -- Documents and Settings -- Whizzy -- Local Settings --
Application Data -- Microsoft -- Outlook
2) Closed Outlook
3) Using Windows Explorer and copy/paste function, I copied the personal.pst
file from the location above into MyDocuments -- Outlook.
4) Navigated to Control Panel -- Mail -- Show Profiles -- Highlighted
“Outlook” (the only profile on my computer -- Properties -- Data Files --
The default ‘Outlook Folders” was there; clicked on Add button -- Chose
‘Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) and clicked on OK -- Navigated
to where I put the personal.pst file in step 3 above, highlighted it, and
clicked on OK; entered ‘Whizzy’ in the name field and clicked on OK. Also
setup my Email account but there are no issues there so I’ll not go through
the details of that.
5) Opened Outlook and used the application as normal (opened email, deleted
email, saved some email to folders within the personal.pst file from steps 3
& 4 above, added updated contacts and calendar items, etc) All email
activity was done within the Email button/bar in the lower left corner of the
main Outlook window and emails were saved to the folders/subfolders under
'Whizzy' in the All Mail folders portion of the screen.
6) When I did the backup, I proceeded as follows:
a. Turned on my Maxtor One-Touch External Hard Drive. It becomes drive E:
and functions like any other external storage device (USB, CD, floppy, etc).
b. In the backup configuration settings, I indicated that I wanted the
following folders on my C drive to be backed up to the external drive:
everything in C:\Documents and Settings\ (this includes the
Whizzy\MyDocuments\Outlook folder with the personal.pst file), and everything
in C:\Program Files
c. I exited Outlook as well as all other applications
d. I simply pressed the button on the Maxtor One Touch and it performed a
backup/copy using a copy/paste type function from C: to E:.
e. When it completed, I went into the E drive (external hard drive) to
verify that the personal.pst file located at C:\Documents and
Settings\Whizzy\MyDocuments was also at E:\Documents and
Settings\Whizzy\MyDocuments and it was. I also verified that the size of the
file on E: matched the size of the file on C: .
7) Reformatted my hard drive and re-installed applications, including
Microsoft Office 2003 Professional.
8) Using Windows Explorer and the copy/paste function, I copied the
personal.pst file from E:\Documents and
Settings\Whizzy\MyDocuments\Outlook\personal.pst to C:\Docouments and
Settings\Whizzy\MyDocuments\Outlook.
9) Navigated to Control Panel -- Mail -- Show Profiles -- Highlighted
“Outlook” (the only profile on my computer -- Properties -- Data Files --
The default ‘Outlook Folders” was there; clicked on Add button -- Chose
‘Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst) and clicked on OK -- Navigated
to where I put the personal.pst file in step 8 above, highlighted it, and
clicked on OK. Entered ‘Whizzy’ in the name field and clicked on OK. Also
setup my Email account (details not important to this issue).
10) Opened Outlook
a. Under the Favorites folder on the left, I clicked on Inbox and none of
the emails that were there prior to the backup/reformat/restore were there.
PROBLEM
b. Clicked on the Contacts button/bar in the lower left portion of the
screen and none of my contacts displayed. PROBLEM
c. Clicked on the Mail button/bar in the lower left portion of the screen
and it took me back to the emails display. In the ‘All Mail Folders’ portion
of the screen on the left, I clicked on one of the subfolders shown under
‘Whizzy’ and all my emails that I had saved to those folders were there. OK.

Is there any way to look at the contents of .pst files outside of Outlook to
see if the Contacts are in there? Thanks again for your help.
Old May 28th 08, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Why did you create a PST file? Outlook was already using a PST file which is
where your data existed. If you created another PST file, it would contain
no data and would in no way be a "backup" as you implied.
You should have just copied the default PST file Outlook was using.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 28th 08, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
whizzywyg

Because I have multiple pst files. One for each personal email account I
have, one for work, etc. Maybe if Microsoft explained things a little better
i would have understood it better. Tell you what...since I'm obviously such a
pain and you're such a jerk (and can't read....I gave you more details...you
just isolated what you chose to do), I won't every use these communities
again. it was my first time and considering how you treat people, I'll
figure it out on my own. Matter of fact, maybe I'll just move to Mozilla and
Thunderbird.

Old May 28th 08, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Fine with me. Your knack for "figuring things out on your own" has certainly
served you well so far. There is abundant information available in Help
files and in these newsgroups that tell you how to migrate Outlook data
properly which you have simply chosen to ignore. Moreover, your posts have
been completely lacking in the information anyone in a newsgroup setting
would need to help you.
Do not presume to chide me for "How I treat people" when you come here
asking for free advice and fail to provide the accurate, relevant, or
complete information that would permit someone to do so. That wastes our
time and yours. Learn the basics of newsgroup etiquette:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555375

Why would any of us care if you move to Thunderbird? I'm sure you'll fare
much better there.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]