Lost Contacts after switch to Personal Folders File.. any suggestions?

Old January 13th 06, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Scott Streit

Default Lost Contacts after switch to Personal Folders File.. any suggestions?

I recently switched my Outlook 2k3 data file from the old 97-2002
format to the updated larger capacity Personal Folders File.

I created a new new data file in the PFF format then imported the old
97-2002 file back into the new data file.

Here is where the problems start, all the email messages seem to have
imported correctly but none of the contacts made it over.

In addition if i have the mail button highlited in the lower left
corner i do not have an icon for my contacts listed under All Mail
Folders in the middle left pane of outlook.

Can i re-import only contacts and why is "contacts" missing from my
personal folders?

Old January 13th 06, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Scott Streit

Well I got my contacts back, I re-exported them using a win CSV file
this time and everything appears to have imported correctly.

One Remaining question, is there a way to add the contacts to my
personal folders so when i back up the PFF data file it will include
the contacts?

Old January 13th 06, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Scott Streit wrote:

I recently switched my Outlook 2k3 data file from the old 97-2002
format to the updated larger capacity Personal Folders File.

I created a new new data file in the PFF format then imported the old
97-2002 file back into the new data file.

Here is where the problems start, all the email messages seem to have
imported correctly but none of the contacts made it over.

Exporting to and importing from a PST is NEVER the way to hande Outlook
data. Do you still have to old format PST? If so, use FileOpenOutlook
Data File to access all the information it contains.

In addition if i have the mail button highlited in the lower left
corner i do not have an icon for my contacts listed under All Mail
Folders in the middle left pane of outlook.

Correct. The Mail view shows you only Mail folders. Sice the Calendar,
Tasks, and Contacts are not mail folders, they don't show in that view.

Can i re-import only contacts and why is "contacts" missing from my
personal folders?

Are you sure it's missing? Select the Folders List view and see if they're
in the Contacts folder you'll see there. Alternatively, add them correctly,
as above.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 13th 06, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Scott Streit wrote:

One Remaining question, is there a way to add the contacts to my
personal folders so when i back up the PFF data file it will include
the contacts?

Your Contacts folder will ALWAYS be in your Peronal Folders file. ALL
Outlook folders are kept in that same file. To back it up is simple. Close
Outlook and use WIndows Explorer to COPY the entire PST to another storage
location. All done. See:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman