cannot access previously saved Autocomplete list of email addresse

Old December 17th 07, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
SBHOMES

Default cannot access previously saved Autocomplete list of email addresse

At one time, in fact, a few days ago,the autocomplete was functioning fine
for my Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 version. I left my work computer Friday
with things working fine. Today, Monday, the Autocomplete still functions,
but all of the email addresses that had automatically been saved over several
months are gone. It is like I am starting from scratch. The thing is, I
have not made any recent modifications, removed any programs, etc. between
then and now that could explain the mysterious disappearance of my email
address list. I did not come in to work at all over the weekend! PLEASE HELP!
Old December 17th 07, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The connection to the autocompletion cache is very fragile in Outlook and is
frequently lost. The only way to repair it is with third party softwa
http://www.ingressor.com/nk2_recovery_info.htm
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 17th 07, 10:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
SBHOMES

Default cannot access previously saved Autocomplete list of email addr

THanks!
What can cause this to become lost? I found the nk2 file for my user
profile and it said it had recently been modified. I didn't knowingly modify
it and no other person was here to modifiy it at that time, that I know of.
What do you suppose could have happened?

Old December 18th 07, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What happens is that Outlook stops writing to the file correctly.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 18th 07, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
SBHOMES

Hmmmmm.....Very interesting. Stinks that you don't get some sort of warning
or something to indicate it is going to stop and completely wipe out what had
been saved. Does this occur often?

Oh, by the way, thanks for the info on how to work on retrieving the info.
I didn't quite restore the current NK2 file in my profile, though. Instead,
I copied the NK2 file from another profile on this computer which I had used
for several months prior to setting up this current second one and posted
that file in this current profile's account to overwrite what was there. The
old one at least had some addresses I still currenlty use, so all is not
completely lost. I just have to work on updating it again.
Am I to expect this "crash" to happen again at some point? Is there a
specific limit as to how many addresses it can hold before the function quits
saving and seemingly wipes all others out?

Old December 19th 07, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

It is a frequent occurrence. Outlook's autocompletion feature was poorly
implemented. Microsoft has done nothing to either acknowledge or correct the
problem.
If you are lucky enough not to encounter another error, the cache will hold
1000 entries before it starts deleting entries in FIFO fashion.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 19th 07, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You are not asking an Outlook question. Ask in a Windows Mobile group.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old December 19th 07, 10:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Wrong thread.

--
Russ Valentine