How do I transfer outlook 2003 data files to another computer

Old February 9th 06, 07:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
wlrtz

Default How do I transfer outlook 2003 data files to another computer

I have a desktop and a notebook connected to a network. Both have Outlook
2003 installed, both have XP sp2 installed. I have tried to transfer the pst
file (105169 KB) from the desktop to the notebook and everything seems to be
OK, except that changes made to the Outlook.pst file on the desktop are not
reflected in the notebook after the file has been copied/transfered . For
example, changes made to the Contacts Folder, Calendar Folder AND the e-mail
Folder on the desktop are not changed on the notebook. I have copied the pst
file from My Documents on the desktop. I have copied/transfered ALL (10)
files from C: DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS/the DEFAULT USER/APPLICATION
DATA/MICROSOFT/OUTLOOK. to the notebook and the changes do not appear. What
am I doing wrong??
Old February 9th 06, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

What were you expecting? Each version of Outlook is now using a different
data file. Changes made in one would not show up in a different file.
You could configure each installation to use the same file, but only if only
one installation accesses it at a time.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 10th 06, 12:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
wlrtz

What are you trying to tell me? Are you saying that I can not copy/transfer
and replace an Outlook 2003 data (PST) file from one computer with Outlook
2003 installed to another computer also with Outlook Outlook 2003 installed?
And then expect the second computer to read the file??

My question was simply: How do I transfer/copy and replace an outlook data
file (PST) to another computer, thereby replacing the data file (PST) on the
second computer. Is the file that I an supossed to c0py the outlook PST file
or another??

Sounds like a simple matter of copying a file from one computer to another
and replacing the file on the second computer. But, when I do, the copied
file dose not show the changes made to the file while it was on on the first
computer

Thanks

Old February 10th 06, 08:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Your post is very unclear.
Read this sentence: "changes made to the Outlook.pst file on the desktop are
not
reflected in the notebook after the file has been copied/transfered"
Explain more clearly what you mean. It sounds like you were expecting your
two installations to remain synchronized. Were you?
You most certainly cannot overwrite a PST file, if that's what you are
doing.
You most certainly can open another PST file in Outlook and see all the data
it contains. You can also set it to be your new default PST file in an
installation.
The Help Files tell you how to migrate PST files:
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]