Can't add contact Outlook 2003/Exchange/SBS 2003

Old May 8th 06, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim G

Default Can't add contact Outlook 2003/Exchange/SBS 2003

I am running SBS 2003 at home which includes Exchange SP2. This has been up
and running flawlessly for over two years. I converted (don't remember how)
several pst files into exchange. There are only three users. From a
workstation, when I add a new contact in OL2003 and click Save and Close,
the window closes and no error message appears. When I search the Contacts,
it's not there. No error message. Where did my contact go? I'm not sure when
I could no longer add contacts, or even if I ever could (service packs,
upgrades, etc.). I'm not a very heavy user of contacts.

Old May 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim G

Yes. Cached Exchange Mode is selected.

"Brian Tillman" wrote in message
Jim G Jim wrote:

I just logged into my account using OWA. And surprise, a test contact
I created yesterday appears. I don't have direct client access at the
moment. I'll have to check this evening if this contact appears in
the client.

Are you using Cached Exchange mode?
--
Brian Tillman

Old May 9th 06, 01:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman

Jim G Jim wrote:

Yes. Cached Exchange Mode is selected.

Did you add the contact to the Contacts folder or via the Address Book
interface?
--
Brian Tillman

Old May 9th 06, 12:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim G

I added the contact by opening the Address Book and selecting Contacts in
the Show Names from the: drop-down menu. I then clicked New Entry, selected
New Contact, and put this entry in the Contacts. Clicked OK, added the
contact and clicked Save and Close.

When I open the Contacts Folder under my Mailbox, I see a different list (I
think) from the Contact list in the Address Book. The Contacts folder
contains all of my recently added contacts.

I thought these were the same Contacts.

Old May 9th 06, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Jim G

Brian, thanks for sticking with me on this. I found a great course titled
"Become an Address Book expert" on the Microsoft site.
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC011894951033

I found this in the training: "The Address Book is used primarily for
addressing e-mail or sending faxes by e-mail. If your contact doesn't have
an e-mail address or a fax number, that contact's name won't show up in the
Address Book."

This may be my issue in several cases.

Jim G Jim wrote:

I added the contact by opening the Address Book and selecting
Contacts in the Show Names from the: drop-down menu. I then clicked
New Entry, selected New Contact, and put this entry in the Contacts.
Clicked OK, added the contact and clicked Save and Close.

Using the Address Book interface to manipulate contacts rarely works
properly. Always manipulate contacts using the Contacts folder.

When I open the Contacts Folder under my Mailbox, I see a different
list (I think) from the Contact list in the Address Book. The
Contacts folder contains all of my recently added contacts.

Did you stop and restart Outlook after you added the contacts? Address

Book
changes usually don't take effect until the Address Book is stopped and
restarted.
--
Brian Tillman