OL2002 - "Type a contact to find" seach box doesn't work properly

Old May 2nd 06, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Louie

Default OL2002 - "Type a contact to find" seach box doesn't work properly

I have a user who is using Outlook 2002 SP-2. He has over 1500 contacts in
his Contacts folder. I exported his contacts to a .pst file and imported the
file to my computer for testing.

Here's the problem: Most of the time when I type in a name in the search box
it returns the appropriate results. But sometimes when I type in a name it
doesn't find any of the contacts, even though they're listed right there in
front of me!

For example, I can search for "Mark" and it brings up the "Choose Contact"
window and lists 15 different people with the name "Mark" (which is the
desired result I want). However, if I search for "Mike" it brings up the
"Check Names" window and lists all the Mikes in the Global Address List. It
doesn't find any of the 40+ Mikes in the Contacs folder.

I tried this on two different computers, one running Outlook 2002 and one
running Outlook 2003 and I get the same problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Old May 2nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You need to mention to which Search box you are referring and how you
configured the Check Names order for the Outlook Address Book.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old May 2nd 06, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Louie

Default OL2002 - "Type a contact to find" seach box doesn't work prope

The search box located on the Standard toolbar, right next to the Address
Book icon.

The Outlook Address Book is configured as follows:

Show this address list first:
Global Address List

Keep personal addresses in:
Contacts

When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following
order:
Global Address List
Contacts

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

You need to mention to which Search box you are referring and how you
configured the Check Names order for the Outlook Address Book.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old May 2nd 06, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Then I don't understand the question. How is Outlook not doing what it's
configured to do?
Once a match is found in the first folder, Outlook does not continue
searching.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Louie" wrote in message
The search box located on the Standard toolbar, right next to the Address
Book icon.

The Outlook Address Book is configured as follows:

Show this address list first:
Global Address List

Keep personal addresses in:
Contacts

When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following
order:
Global Address List
Contacts

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

You need to mention to which Search box you are referring and how you
configured the Check Names order for the Outlook Address Book.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news

Old May 2nd 06, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Louie

So to simplify my question:

My Contacts folder contains 15 people named "Mark" and 40 people named
"Mike". Why, when I search for "Mike" in the "Type a contact to find" seach
box, does it return results from the Global Address List when searching for
"Mark" returns results from the Contacts folder? Shouldn't both searches
return results from the Contacts folder?

I can e-mail you screen shots if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

"Louie" wrote in message
The search box located on the Standard toolbar, right next to the Address
Book icon.

The Outlook Address Book is configured as follows:

Show this address list first:
Global Address List

Keep personal addresses in:
Contacts

When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following
order:
Global Address List
Contacts

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

You need to mention to which Search box you are referring and how you
configured the Check Names order for the Outlook Address Book.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news I have a user who is using Outlook 2002 SP-2. He has over 1500 contacts

Old May 2nd 06, 10:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Not the way you have it configured.
It will return matches from the GAL.
Only if there are none would it return hits from your Contacts.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 2nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Louie

So what would be the best way to configure it?

It doesn't make sense to me why searching for "Mark" returns results from my
Contact folder but searching for "Mike" returns results from the GAL, even
though there are 40 "Mikes" in the Contacts.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

PMJI, but Russ already told you: Outlook stops searching once it finds a match. You have Outlook set up to search the GAL before it searches Contacts. Therefore, if it finds a match in the GAL, it does not look in any other address book.

If you want it to search Contacts first, then change the order under "When sending mail, check names using these address lists in the following order."

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old May 2nd 06, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Depends on your needs.
What other information did you need to figure out the answer?
If you hit no matches for Mark in the GAL, it will search and return results
from Contacts.
If you prefer to search Contacts first, then put it first in the search
order.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old May 3rd 06, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Louie

First off, I really want to thank you both for taking the time out to help me.

So rephrasing my question:

If BOTH the GAL and Contacts folder have a multiple "Marks" and "Mikes"
listed, why does the search of "Mark" open the Contacts first and a search of
"Mike" open the GAL first?

I'd really like to e-mail you guys screen shots if that's ok to make it more
clear what I'm seeing and what I'm asking. Thanks.