Charter email account fails upon setup (SMTP error)

Old November 18th 09, 11:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Laura H

Default Charter email account fails upon setup (SMTP error)

I have just had Charter internet installed at our house today. I have
entered all of Charter's fairly simple settings (ports 110/25, no encryption,
no authentication). Every time I run the 'Test Account Settings' I get the
following error:

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP)
e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server
administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I am connected directly to my Charter cable modem via ethernet when this
happens, so I have ruled out any other network issues (connecting through
bellsouth, which still exists at my house at this time). I can receive
incoming 'charter.net' addressed mail, but cannot send outgoing. I have also
tried to use the 'Repair' option fromthe "Account Settings" window, to no
avail. I have had it autodetect settings, which failed to find an encrypted
connection, then tried the autodetect unencrypted connection option. None of
them worked. Charter has ruled out any issues on their side. I am out of
options. Can anyone give me advice specifically about Charter and their smtp
issues?
Old November 19th 09, 01:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Roady [MVP]

Try it with authentication enabled even when they say it is not needed. In
addition, try port 587.

Do you have a virus scanner installed which integrates itself with Outlook?
Uninstall this integration part of your virus scanner and try again; you'd
still be sufficiently protected by your on-access scanner part of the virus
scanner. For more details see;
http://www.msoutlook.info/question/20

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

http://www.msoutlook.info/

-----

Old November 19th 09, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Laura H[_2_]

Thanks! You know, I left it alone for a while, and suddenly the test
messages I sent worked. Perhaps the ISP had not fully completed their end of
the setup. I will absolutely keep your suggestions in mind for future
reference though, as AVG is integrated into outlook.

Laura

.

Old November 19th 09, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Laura H" wrote in message

Thanks! You know, I left it alone for a while, and suddenly the test
messages I sent worked. Perhaps the ISP had not fully completed their end
of
the setup. I will absolutely keep your suggestions in mind for future
reference though, as AVG is integrated into outlook.

Current versions of AVG tend to interfere with proper mail communications.
You should uninstall AVG and reinstall it without the Outlook add-ins.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]