Outlook spelling checker does not find misspelled words.

Old November 23rd 08, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jesse James

Default Outlook spelling checker does not find misspelled words.

I installed office 2007 with business contact manager on a new hp laptop
running Vista Business and removed all of the trial software after the
installation. Todate I have been unable to get Outlook to discover that I
have a mispelled word. It always comes up with a message that "The spelling
check is complete". It never underlines the mispelled word or finds it. I had
this problem with Word 2007 but by adding the spell check button to the tool
bar at the top the spelling checker now works but does not underline the
mispelled words.

--
Jesse James
Old November 23rd 08, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jesse James

More to the problem. I just rechecked Word 2007 after determining that Word
found the mispelled word to find that now Word again does not find the
misspelled word. the only thing I did was to try the spelling checker in
Outlook and it failed. Then I tried it in Word and it failed. Both programs
come up with "The spelling check is complete" and does not find the errors.
--
Jesse James

Old November 24th 08, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

are you typing in the signature field? right click on a word you know is
misspelled and see if the signature menu comes up.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old November 25th 08, 02:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jesse James

Diane;

All I have to do is type abcjudj and then hit the check spelling button to
get the finished checking spelling response. This is done on a new document
and I have tried highlighting the word with the same response. I can write a
paragraph and go back and misspell a word and then check spelling and all I
get is the finished dialog box. I never see the wavey underline in red.

Thanks fo ryour help.
--
Jesse James

Old November 25th 08, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jesse James

Further to the described problem, a problem that occured about a week ago has
returned. The reading panel does not sync with the email list and if you make
the view with the reading pane off then return to a reading pane to the
right, the "off" version of the view does not repaint or go away.

This is very frustrating.
--
Jesse James

Old November 26th 08, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Jesse James

If you right click on the word to be spell checked it brings up the dialog
box to change the font, paragraph, bullets, numbering, etc. As I said if you
highlight it and then click on check spelling you get the "outlook finished
checking this selection do you want to continue checking the rest of the
document. Now "adsfasdfadsfa" is a miss spelled word where I went to school.
No red underline.

--
Jesse James

Old November 27th 08, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
mjhess44

I have the exact same problem. If anyone knows of a solution, please let me
know.

http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old November 29th 08, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Check the style for the words - is it set to ignore misspelled words? This
setting is under Languages.

In 2007, Format Text tab, Change Styles button. Click the little arrow in
the lower right corner to expand the Styles pane. Select the text and the
style it uses will highlight - click it to show the dropdown arrow and
select Modify from the menu. Then choose Format from the lower left of the
Modify Style dialog - look in Languages for the spelling setting.

Old November 29th 08, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
mjhess44

It was not set to ignore words. I found my solution on another website. I
had to rename one of my registry entries. I have not deleted my old registry
entry yet and will probably just leave it in there. Here are the steps I
followed.

1. Close Word [or other office program(s)]
2. Run Regedit
3. Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing
Tools\1.0
4. Right-click and rename 1.0 to zz 1.0 (i.e. put letters in front of
folder name)
5. Close Registry Editor.
6. Launch Word and type a misspelled word. The word should recognized as
misspelled and be underlined in red.

Going back in to the registry editor (i.e. Run Regedit), you'll notice that
when Word was launched, it re-created the 1.0 folder and its entries.

I think this happened because I was originally operating Office 2003. Then
I downloaded a trial version of OneNote 2007. Then I decided to purchase
Office 2007. During the Office 2007 installation, I chose to keep my Office
2003 programs because I wanted some time to learn the new office programs
while being able to get things done on a timely basis using the old office
suite. Later, I decided to uninstall Office 2003 once I got the hang of
Office 2007. I'm not sure when during this process Word 2007 stopped
recognizing misspelled words.