Outlook to Outlook Express ..all inbox, contacts etc. lost HELP!!

Old May 11th 07, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Default Outlook to Outlook Express ..all inbox, contacts etc. lost HEL

How about you give us an accurate, complete description of just what
happened here including the specific answers to my questions. I'll repeat
them:
1. Were you using Outlook or Outlook Express as your default mail
application?
2. If you were using Outlook, what were the steps that lead to its
"vanishing" and from where did it vanish? The things you seem to now be
partially recalling, like crashes and error messages are the only way we
have to solve your issue. You haven't posted enough information for anyone
even to start on this.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
Servers out of sync huh? Should you tell someone in IT about that? :-)
(sorry couldn't resist) back to my lost email....

The icons from the desktop are "gone" as well. Not there anywhere on the
desktop. Used to be there, not there. that is how I first realized that it
was missing
I just looked at the start menu.
there - OUtlook Express is listed and there is somethign that says E-Mail.
when I select E-Mail the "Internet Properties" pop-up appears. I cannot
tell you how long that has been like that because I never had to go to the
start-up menu to bring up Outlook. Just that is like that now.

What do you mean "windows explorer default location" Where is that? Am I
missing something obvious? Please be a bit more specific.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Nowhere. Microsoft's news servers are out of synch. Posts and replies may
or
may not appear as they should, so I only saw yours tonight.
I see there is more information trickling in. So what exactly went
missing?
Outlook's Quick Launch icon or something else? Can you launch Outlook
from
its default location in Windows Explorer or from the Start menu?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
Russ, where did you go?

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote:

no, I am not saying that. I am saying that after an update and a
reboot I
noticed it was gone. Now, I do not know if they had anything to do
with
it,
but that's when I noticed it was not on the toolbar anymore. Again, It
did
not just disappear while I was using it. Does this help ? Wait -- I
just
remembered when the machine wanted to reboot it could not beacuse it
thought
oulook was running. It was no where on the screen, so I had to "end
task"
.
Not the application - it was not listed, but in the process list.
This
was
not the first time over the years I had to do that. Any other info I
can
provide pls ask.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Are you saying that you were using Outlook and the program just
disappeared?
If so, there is much more to your story than you have told us.
Outlook
doesn't just wander off on its own.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in
message
here is what happened - I went to open Outlook, the icon was not
on
my
desktop (the bottom tool bar ). I could not find it in the
programs
list
either. It was not there. I did find outlook express, so I
started
that
program (was this the error), with the assumption (which may be
incorrect,
pls let me know) that this was an "update". I had never used
outlook
expresss before.. But this begs he question --if they are not
realated
what
happened to all of the saved mail folders from the other program,
which is
what I am after. I did a dbx serach thinking that if there were
two
sets
them
maybe that there were two versions - but only one set came up.
Does this help -- shed light? Let me know if more details are
needed.
Thank
you, thank you for help. The information I cannot find is so
important.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

Outlook is not an upgrade to Outlook Express. The two programs
are
unrelated. So your post makes no sense. Clarify it.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Janet R. , NJ" Janet R. , wrote
in
message
Long story short..email was upgraded to Outlook express (from
outlook)
and
now..
inbox contents lost, address book lost, folders lost,
EVERYTHING
before
the
upgrade lost. Was it saved? or was the "new version" just
overwritten
on
the
old files. PLEASE HELP. Did I have a back up? Shoot me now,
but
no.

Old May 12th 07, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Janet R. , NJ

Lets try this again Mr. Valentine

1. I WAS using Oulook for the past 5 years as my default mail
2.On or about the 5 th of May I went to use Outlook and the icons were not
on my desk top. What was there was Outlook Express.
3. The events that happened, that may or may not be related, are to the best
of my recall are as follows

- Microsoft tried to do an automtatic update, but it failed because
something regarding frontpage failed. It asked for the disk,but since I do
not use frontpage I used the Add/Remove program and removed Fontpage. Then
the Update ran again & successfully completed.
-Note: During the "remove" of frontapge or the "update" (I do not recall ,
but it was one of them ) it asked to close all apps. I did so. At the time of
this Outlook was up and running as was Explorer. I exited OUlook through the
'file' pulldown menu. Explorer I used the 'X'. This was the last known time
OUtlook was running on my computer.
- Then during the shutdown process for the restart, although no application
were running (either in the open window state, nor iconified on the tool bar)
it said that I should close Outlook. I then proceeded to open the Task
Manager and found the OUtlook.exe and did an end process.
Note - OUlook was NOT listed in the Applications tab, just the Process Tab.
I had to end the Process.
Note - this happened often. That is, when I did a restart or shurdown -
although Outlook was not open and running on the desktop it thought it was
and I had to end process.
Note - when I selected the OUtlook.exe and selected end process - the
application also went through a Word "shutdown" saying there were changes to
the normal doc do I want to save the changes? I would have to go throught
that process. Again - this was somewhat a normal experience for me. It
happened often.

-Once all that was done the reboot completed. the next person to use the
machine once it was running again was my 7 year old daughter who accessed
Explorer. Webkinz to be exact. I do not know for sure if OUtlook ever came up
when she turned it on -as I was not there. I do know that it was not there
awhen I went to use it OUtlook Express was. Being ignorant to their
differences, I started the program and right away realized that - my
addressbook was gone/empty. my inbox was gone/empty. my saved files ..gone
tec., etc.
i serached for .dbx files and only saw the ones realted to Outlook Express.
I then looked at the "start menu" at your suggestion and saw the EMail
entry. when I selected that the "internet properties" pop-up came up. was it
always like that?I do not know. I never used it before. OUlook was always on
the desktop in two places.

Currently under the Set Access Programs and Defaults it all says Outlook
Express. Please do not ask if it ever said Outlook - because I never looked
there before as my programs, including Outlook, were always running. But
that is what it says now.

This is the information I have - does this make it any clearer for you? Do
you need ANYTHING ELSE?
its strange -its frustrating -- can you help?
Janet

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
[...]

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
Russ, where did you go?

Old May 12th 07, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Have you tried repairing your Office installation?
Even if you unintentionally uninstalled Outlook, all your data will still be
there.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

,

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
[...]

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
Russ, where did you go?

Old May 12th 07, 02:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Janet R. , NJ

No, I have not tried reparing the installation. Exactly, How do I go about
doing that?
Where would the data reside?

Russ, my objective is to retrieve and access my old Outlook files/data.
I am not particular to either Outlook vs Express. (Should I be? Is one
"better" than another?) How are they different -- look and feel is - but
technically is one more robust than the other? with this said - IF the data
is there - can the outlook files be imported &/or set so that Express uses
it? Or is it apples and oranges?
What is your techical advice? I will follow it. I just need the data.
Again, thank you for your help.

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
[...]

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
Russ, where did you go?

Old May 12th 07, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Just run "Detect and Repair" from the Help Menu of any Office app. Or you
can insert the Office CD and run it from the maintenance wizard. It should
restore your Office installation to its previous state. Sounds like you must
have done some uninstalling by mistake.
Once Outlook is installed, it may create a new profile with no accounts and
no data. Just set up your accounts again and find and reuse your previous
Outlook data file (PST file). The file you need is your Personal Folders
file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.
Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

Since you've been using Outlook for 5 years, I see little benefit in
migrating to a completely different program now. Outlook Express has none of
the PIM features and Office integration that Outlook does.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

"Janet R. , NJ" wrote in message
Servers out of sync huh? Should you tell someone in IT about that?
:-)