Contacts missing in Outlook 2003

Old April 17th 07, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
no spam

Default Contacts missing in Outlook 2003

Hello,

Just installed my Outlook 2003, onto my Vista Home Premium installation. I
repleced the .pst folder in the Microsoft subdirectory of the 'Users'
directory in my system drive to install previous mailbox. My problem is
that, although the 'Contacts' pane button on the left side of the Outlook
window shows all my addresses from the old .pst file, clicking on the
'Address Book' button at the top on the menu bar, reveals an error message.
The error message states words to the effect that the contacts folder has
been removewd or deleted etc....

Obviously, I was able to carry over all the addresses from my contacts in
the old .pst file because they appear when the 'Contacts' pane button is
clicked. But how do I fix it so that the address book appears when I click
the 'To' button within a new email or when I click 'Address Book' button on
the menu bar?

Thank you,
Shane

Old April 17th 07, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman

no spam wrote:

Just installed my Outlook 2003, onto my Vista Home Premium
installation. I repleced the .pst folder in the Microsoft
subdirectory of the 'Users' directory in my system drive to install
previous mailbox. My problem is that, although the 'Contacts' pane
button on the left side of the Outlook window shows all my addresses
from the old .pst file, clicking on the 'Address Book' button at the
top on the menu bar, reveals an error message. The error message
states words to the effect that the contacts folder has been removewd
or deleted etc....

You didn't configure the Outlook ADdres Book service.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563/en-us
--
Brian Tillman
Old April 18th 07, 06:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Leon Hao [MSFT]

Hi Shane,

If I understood properly, your issue is: the Address Book does not work,
nor does TO button from which the contact information should appear.

Is that correct?

As Brian said, this occurs because Outlook requires that you complete the
following steps before your contact information is available for you to
address messages by using your address book:

# Step 1: Install the Outlook Address Book service.
==================
1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
2. Click to select View or change existing directories or address books,
and then click Next.
3. If your Outlook Address Book is listed, click Cancel, and then go to
the steps in the "How to Mark Your Contact Folder for Use with Your Address
Book" section.
4. If your Outlook Address Book is not listed, click Add.
5. Click to select Additional Address Books, and then click Next.
6. Click to select Outlook Address Book, and then click Next.
7. Click OK when you receive the prompt that the address book you added
will not start until you click Exit from the File menu.
8. Click Finish.
9. Click Exit from the File menu, and then restart Outlook.

# Step 2: Mark your contact folder for use with your address book.
==================
1. On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Properties for your
folder name.
2. On the Outlook Address Book tab, click to select the Show this folder
as an e-mail address book check box, type a descriptive name, and then
click OK.

# Step 3: Specify either an e-mail address or a fax number for each item
that you want to appear when you address messages.
==================
1. In the Folder list, select the Contact folder.
2. Double-click the contact to open the item, and then look at the e-mail
address field and the fax numbers field.

The following KB article is for your reference:

287563 Contact information does not appear in the address book in Outlook
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563/en-us

If this does not work, then I would like to collect more information so
that we can do further research for you:

* Information Collection
=================
1. What Outlook account type are you using?
2. Have you applied all the latest updates for Office 2003?
3. Please take a screenshot on the exact error message and send it to me.
** To take a screenshot
---------------------
1. When this error message appears, press PrScrn key on your keyboard.
2. Type "mspaint" (without the quotation marks) in StartRun box and click
OK.
3. Click EditPaste to paste the screenshot.
4. Save it as JPEG file type and send it as Email attachment.
---------------------

Please send it directly to this newsgroup or you can send it to me at

Regards,

Leon Hao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Old April 18th 07, 11:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
no spam

My thanks to Brian and Leon. From your advice I was able to fix the
problem.

Shane

rights.

Old April 19th 07, 05:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Leon Hao [MSFT]

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your update on this issue.

I'm glad to hear that our suggestions helped! If you need further
assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me know and we are glad
to provide help.

Have a nice day!