outlook dual profiles

Old June 13th 06, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
ColinCamp

Default outlook dual profiles

I manage a small network running exchange and 30 workstations- xp pro.
The owner wants to purchase a new laptop and needs access to all his
contacts, calendars , emails using outlook 2003 when traveling abroad and
working in the office.

I plan on setting up (2) profiles on his new laptop - one for the office to
connect Outlook to Exchange and the other profile for when he 's on the road.
This "traveling" profile will have Outlook configured to access POP Mail
from the exchange server. This I presume will utilize a pst file

I want to configure the Outlook using this "traveling" profile to leave a
message on the Server so when he comes back into the office LAN , and logs in
using his "office profile", all mail that was opened when he was on the road
will be populated into his outlook.

If the configuration I am planning on implementing sounds flawed, please
provide input to resolve this in a more efficient manner. - The bottom line
is he wants to be able to utilize all the features of Outlook 2003 no matter
if he's in the office or in an Airport; without having to use Outlook web
access.

thanks for your help

--
Colin Camp
Old June 13th 06, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
neo [mvp outlook]

POP3 is bad because it never fails that the user eventually returns to the
office to complain that the "Inbox" is empty or they can't access the other
essential folders like calendar, tasks, contacts, .etc. Out of curiosity,
is the site running Exchange 2003? If the answer to this is yes, I would
take a look at allowing the owner to connect via RPC over HTTPS. The reason
why is that brings you back to the single mail profile and s/he gets the
full Outlook 2003 experience in & out of the office.