Using Outlook 2007, where are my old emails stored in Outlook 2003?

Old July 18th 09, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mighty Magpie[_2_]

Default Using Outlook 2007, where are my old emails stored in Outlook 2003?

I have bought a new computer which has Outlook 2007. My previous computer
uses Outlook 2003. I would like to keep and possibly 'transfer' the old
(stored) emails from my previous computer onto my new computer so that if
need be, I can view them again.

Where should I look in the 2003 version and which file should I copy?

I think I recall being told several years ago that Outlook stores Contacts
in a file ending with .pst but I am not sure about the extension of the file
which stores the emails. I do not necessarily want to replace my current
(Outlook 2007) emails and folders with the previous version, I simply want
to know that they are on my new computer and I can view them when I want
(when I learn how to)

TIA

Old July 18th 09, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Mighty Magpie" wrote in message
I have bought a new computer which has Outlook 2007. My previous computer
uses Outlook 2003. I would like to keep and possibly 'transfer' the old
(stored) emails from my previous computer onto my new computer so that if
need be, I can view them again.

Where should I look in the 2003 version and which file should I copy?

I think I recall being told several years ago that Outlook stores Contacts
in a file ending with .pst but I am not sure about the extension of the
file which stores the emails.

All in the same file. The default name is Outlook.pst, but search for *.pst,
including Hidden files.

I do not necessarily want to replace my current (Outlook 2007) emails and
folders with the previous version, I simply want to know that they are on
my new computer and I can view them when I want (when I learn how to)

Copy to your new HDD and do File-Open-Outlook Data File in Outlook.

Old July 19th 09, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mighty Magpie[_2_]

I copied them to a folder and tried to open the most recent (prior to the
new PC) but got the error message "File access is denied. You do not have
the permission required to access the file N:\OUTLOOK FILES\archive.pst"

It made no difference which file I tried to open, I got the same related
message. The files are mine, on a PC only used by me and belonging to me.
What permission do I need?

Cheers

Old July 19th 09, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_6_]

"Mighty Magpie" wrote in message
I copied them to a folder and tried to open the most recent (prior to the
new PC) but got the error message "File access is denied. You do not have
the permission required to access the file N:\OUTLOOK FILES\archive.pst"

It made no difference which file I tried to open, I got the same related
message. The files are mine, on a PC only used by me and belonging to me.
What permission do I need?

You ARE trying to open the file within Outlook?

Old July 19th 09, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mighty Magpie[_2_]

Yes,
It seems to be sorted now. I had save the files onto an external hard drive
and was attempting to open them from there. After I moved them to my C
Drive, Outlook lets me open them.

Sorry I dragged it out. I'm still learning and very grateful to you for your
help.

Cheers

Old July 19th 09, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
F.H. Muffman

I copied them to a folder and tried to open the most recent (prior to
the new PC) but got the error message "File access is denied. You do
not have the permission required to access the file N:\OUTLOOK
FILES\archive.pst"

It made no difference which file I tried to open, I got the same
related message. The files are mine, on a PC only used by me and
belonging to me. What permission do I need?

Also verify the pst itself isn't marked read-only.

--
f.h.
Microsoft Outlook MVP

Old July 19th 09, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Foldes

What is N:\OUTLOOK FILES\archive.pst.??

You did not copy the 2003 pst archive files to the correct location. Read the
answers that was posted by Gordon and DL

Copy to your Documents folder and not the default Outlook location and most
definitely not to the one you posted

--
Peter

Old July 19th 09, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

What's wrong with making your own location for the pst file? That location
is not a problem (assuming its not a network drive.) The error indicates the
pst is read-only.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email: