Cannot backup pst file

Old February 3rd 09, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jim Leming

Default Cannot backup pst file

When I try to copy my personal folders pst file to a jump drive I get a
message that reads "Cannot copy outlook" the process cannot access the file
because another process has locked a portion of the file." Outlook is closed
when this happens. How can I remedy this? Thanks for your helpo.
--
Jim
Old February 4th 09, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Correction. Outlook is not closed. Something is keeping it open. Look in
Task Manager if you don't believe me. Recall the things that keep Outlook
from exiting completely:
1. PDA synchronization software with your PDA in the cradle.
2. Franklin-Cover Plan Plus!
3. COM Add-ins.
4. Mail reminder add-ins that keep a stub of Outlook open in the background
to check for new mail and fire reminders.
5. Anti-virus/firewall programs that are set to scan incoming and outgoing
mail.
6. Windows Search has not finished indexing your data file.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 4th 09, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jim Leming

Thanks. I did look in Task Manager, and under the Processes tab I see
Outlook.exe. Should I click on "end process"?

I did close sync software for my Blackberry, and the desktop mgr for same.
Don't have Franklin Covey.

I'll try it again after closing Norton and see what happens.

Do you know how I would determine if I have mail reminder add-ins ... not
sure what that is. Also don't know how to determine if I have COM add-ins.

Thanks for your help!
--
Jim

Old February 4th 09, 03:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jim Leming

DL - thanks for your reply. I had said it didn't help, but actually now
realize that your answer was the same as the earlier one from RV. I just
need more specifics as I'm a novice. Thanks ..
--
Jim

Old February 4th 09, 10:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You've already found 3 very likely culprits. Try those first.
How to check for add-ins depends on your version which you did not post.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 4th 09, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jim Leming

Thanks Russ. I turned off all the Norton screens, etc. - still cannot copy
the .pst file. Also, no help when I closed the Blackberry sync program and
turned off my Blackberry (when I did that is also when I checked the Task Mgr
to see if Outlook was still running. It was not listed in the "applications"
tab, but a file named "outlook.exe" as listed in the "processes" tab.).

The version I have is Outlook 2007 with Business Contact Manager.

Thanks so much for your help. Jim

Old February 4th 09, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Turning off Norton won't help. You need to remove all integration with
Outlook by uninstalling it completely and reinstalling it without any
Outlook integration or email scanning enabled.
You'll find your Add-ins listed in Tools Trust Center... Add-ins
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old February 5th 09, 10:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Michael Bernstein

If Outlook is fully closed, it will not be shown in the Task Mgr "processes"
tab. You should try to end the process, forcing it to close properly and see
if you can copy the "pst" file then. Having it not listed in the
"applications" tab but listed in the "processes" tab is what you get when
Outlook is just minimized and hidden.

Mike Bernstein

Old February 5th 09, 11:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

That's axiomatic. But if he doesn't figure out what's keeping Outlook from
closing, the problem will persist.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]