pst location

Old January 30th 09, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James B. Holladay

Default pst location

I know in order to back up outlook what I need to do is save a copy of the
file or files with the extension *.pst.
Where are these files located. I see outcmd.dat 2kb, outlook.fav25kb,
outlook.srs 3kb, and extend.dat 2kb.
I looked in folders view and was not able to find anything checked that
would hide and extension.
I think I read that in order for *.pst to show you had to have something
scheduled in Outlook, I do.
What am I missing?

Old January 30th 09, 12:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gregg Fowler[_2_]

"James B. Holladay" wrote in message
I know in order to back up outlook what I need to do is save a copy of the
file or files with the extension *.pst.
Where are these files located. I see outcmd.dat 2kb, outlook.fav25kb,
outlook.srs 3kb, and extend.dat 2kb.
I looked in folders view and was not able to find anything checked that
would hide and extension.
I think I read that in order for *.pst to show you had to have something
scheduled in Outlook, I do.
What am I missing?

Go to the File menu and click on export. Then choose .pst format. You can
then choose exactly what you want to back up or back it all up to whatever
location you would like.

Old January 30th 09, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

The MS Outlook site has a free backup addin

In explorer, show hidden Files.

Make sure you include hidden and system files and folders when searching for
pst-file
a.. By default it is located in
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
For Windows Vista the default is
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outloo k\
b.. You can also locate the file by using
Rightclick the root folder (probably Outlook Today)- Properties- button
Advanced- field Filename

Old January 30th 09, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James B. Holladay

This is the location I have been looking in but no files show and extension
indicated with a pst. They either show dat, srs or fav.
I have seen the .pst extension but can't figure this one out.
Is there a convient link for the addin?
Thanks.

Old January 30th 09, 01:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Bad advice. Explain to us why you would want to lost the data an export
entails.
Just make a copy of the data file. Instructions on how to back up Outlook
data have been posted here countless times. Read them.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old January 30th 09, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
James B. Holladay

Russ, come on,
I am following the string. I am not the most technically savvy guy around so
go a little easy.
I have found the directory but it does not list any file with an extension
of .pst.
Where are these files located. I see outcmd.dat 2kb, outlook.fav25kb,
outlook.srs 3kb, and extend.dat 2kb.
I am just asking why not pst.
You know, know a little advice!!
James

Old January 30th 09, 02:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

The information you seek is posted here every day.
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

PST files are hidden files.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old January 30th 09, 09:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Within Outlook, rt click Personal FoldersPropertiesAdvanced
File name shows both name & path of the current data file
(The size of the file can also be seen from PropertiesGeneral Tab 'Folder
Size')

The default name is outlook.pst and default path is as previously mentioned,
however it could be 'anyname'.pst if it was so named, it could also be
located elsewhere, if that was how it was origonally set up

You can also search, to include hidden for *.pst What result does that give?

[...]

attachment location sophie Add-ins for Outlook 10 February 9th 09 02:07 PM
Change location of the storage location for mail and address book JorgenNM Outlook - Installation 4 October 1st 08 06:25 AM
PST file location Edward Borg Outlook - General Queries 1 April 15th 08 12:42 AM
location Emiller Outlook - Calandaring 1 February 16th 07 10:01 PM
Location st.g. Outlook - Calandaring 0 June 4th 06 01:27 PM