Taking settings across PSTs

Old January 3rd 09, 06:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John[_11_]

Default Taking settings across PSTs

Hi

I need to replace my existing pst with a new one as existing pst is too
full. Is there a way to transfer across Rules and Categories from existing
pst to a new pst?

Thanks

Regards

Old January 3rd 09, 06:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

Outlook version please? Have you tried reducing your .pst file by removing
attachments, emptying your deleted items folder, archiving, etc.?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, John asked:

Old January 3rd 09, 07:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John[_11_]

OL2007. File is still too big. I like to start a new pst every year to keep
things under control.

Old January 3rd 09, 07:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

then create a new .pst file and name it "archive2008.pst" and move your
current items from your .pst file to that archive.

You will have a clean .pst file to continue to use with your current
settings.

Old January 3rd 09, 07:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
John[_11_]

Hi Milly

Any easy way to move all items to new pst?

Thanks again

Regards

Old January 3rd 09, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon[_4_]

"John" wrote in message
Hi Milly

Any easy way to move all items to new pst?

Use the Archive function.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Old January 3rd 09, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

Drag and drop.

Old January 29th 09, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
iamcpenn

Is there a more technical way to copy the rules and apply them to a different
..PST in outlook 2003? nothing like a nk2?

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

Drag and drop.

Old January 30th 09, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook][_2_]

IIRC, you can export the rules and import them into your target Outlook
client. (Been a while since I needed to do anything with rules).

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

ALWAYS post your Outlook version.

After furious head scratching, iamcpenn asked:

Old January 30th 09, 12:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"iamcpenn" wrote in message

Is there a more technical way to copy the rules and apply them to a
different
.PST in outlook 2003? nothing like a nk2?

Use the rules wizard to export the rules, creating an RWZ file. Import that
into a different instance of Outlook. Rules don't really apply to a PST.
For some versions of Outlook, they're contained in a hidden folder of a PST,
but can only be accessed when that PST is the delivery location and so they
apply to a mail profile.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]