pst questions...

Old August 27th 07, 04:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mike

Default pst questions...

One of my users was having problems with their email (Outlook 2000),
recieving emails.
When checking, I found his pst file to be 2,097,136 KB.
I was able to archive sent items (along with attachments), that created an
archive pst file of 438,233 KB, but the original pst file size hasn't
changed.
Why is that?
I tried compacting it, but no luck.
They appear to be able to send & recieve email now, but I'm concerned about
the size issue.
Any advice appreciated!
--
The intelligent man wins his battles with pointed words.
I'm sorry -- I meant sticks. Pointed sticks.

Old August 27th 07, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

The pst is still to large.
Either archive again, changing the archive date settings, or create a new
pst and move data to this. Then compact again.
An early version pst can go south at 1.6gb, remember also the size problem
also effects an archive file, which is just another pst.

Old August 28th 07, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Always Trying to Learn[_2_]

How large can a 2003 pst file get and still be safe?
How many pst files can be open at the same time?
Thank you

Old August 28th 07, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Peter Foldes

Should not be more than 1.8g after that you can start having issues. As far as how many pst files you can open, Well what is it that you are trying to ask here.
A pst file contains all the info,email that is in your Outlook. If you are trying to ask on how many emails can you have open at any one time then that is another story. So what is it that you are trying to ask here with the pst file

--
Peter

Old August 28th 07, 05:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mike

If I archived 438,233 KB worth of emails, shouldn't the original pst now be
438,233 KB smaller?

Old August 28th 07, 07:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Peter Foldes" wrote in message
Should not be more than 1.8g after that you can start having issues.

That only applies to the 97-2002 format pst files - 2003 and 2007 (the OP
states 2003) in Unicode format can be MUCH larger than that. (I forget the
exact size but it's HUGE......)

Old August 28th 07, 07:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"Mike" wrote in message
If I archived 438,233 KB worth of emails, shouldn't the original pst now
be 438,233 KB smaller?

Depends on the version of Outlook - before 2003 I think you had to manually
compress the pst file - 2003 and after did it automatically AFAIR...

Old August 28th 07, 09:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

Not neccessarily.
You sometimes have to remove a significant chunk (I know you have archived a
large amount) before a compress will show any result

Old August 28th 07, 09:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

I currently have 6 pst's open without any problem

Old August 28th 07, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Always Trying to Learn
wrote:

How large can a 2003 pst file get and still be safe?

20GB is the minimum maximum size and that size can be made larger via
registry settings. Peter is thinking of Outlook 2002 and earlier PSTs.

How many pst files can be open at the same time?

I don't know, but I do know people who have 10 open at once.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]