uninstall and reinstall Outlook

Old June 12th 07, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Carmen O'Donnell

Default uninstall and reinstall Outlook

I need to uninstall Microsoft Outlook. Somehow it appears that there are
folder withing the Outlook directory when I got to "My Computer" that don't
look as tho they belong there and then there are some folder that I have
never used and don't know what they are for

I had only installed the WORD and the OUTLOOK and not the EXCEL. The folders
I'm speaking of are MEDIA/ , CAGCT10 1033, ;OFFICE11 /1033: . Then
OFFICE11/Autoshap/Bullets/Lines. Then Office11 is listed again with
/1033/Addins/Convert/1033/Forms/1033, then HTML,Migration,Startup. Then
Templates/1033/fax. That's it. It seems that some folders are listed twice?

I really mostly only use the MS Word Program and sometimes the email or
contacts . I use Outlook Express for my mail.

The reason I say that I think I need to do a clean install is that when
Windows does an update or if I click on Start/Programs/Microsoft Office/ I
get a message that the path specified for the file C:\Documents and
Settings\Carmen KKKKK\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst is not valid? Very strange because I
also seem to have 2 Carmen directories I don't know how they got there but
HP helped me reformat for different reasons. I could not get into Windows
with ""ANY OPTION, Last known, system restore or any of the options I was
prompted for.

What I would like to do is to just "save my Word documents and uninstall the
whole probram, reinstalling my documents and importing my addresses. I am
just afraid of the possibility of uninstalling somethig that belongs in
Windows or some other important part of my Directory Tree.

Sorry to be so long but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also cannot install
any Windows Outlook updates and also again receive an error message regaring
an incorrect path.

Any help would be truly appreciated. I will probablu cross post this to
another Outlook newsgroup, so I apoligize in advance.

Carmen

Old June 13th 07, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

I cannot see that an uninstall / reinstall of OL will do anything to your
installation

Office 2003 installs by default to \Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
There are a number of 1033 folders within the structure, all your other
folders appear valid.
Office would install this structure, I believe, even if you only installed
some of the components

It seems a little odd if you have two same 'user name' directories under
Docs & settings, but thats more a win installation thing, I would say.
IMO there was something not quite right with the reinstallation of win, and
perhaps your subsequent installation of Office

Id suggest that you copied all your data to external media

Old June 13th 07, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Carmen O'Donnell

Thanks for your reply" Please forgive me, I'm 70 years old and probably
shouldn't be fooling around with this stuff but I'm disabled and I really
enjoy the newsgroups and shopping on line.

Somehow I'll figure out what to do with this one. The main thing is that I
have all my documents on a flash drive. Thank heavens!!

Thanks again,
Carmen

Old June 13th 07, 10:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
DL

If you dont actually use Outlook for mail or its Contacts, but use Outlook
Express and its address book; see here for info on OE
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
eg how to backup your mail & address book

NB Outlook is a completely different application to Outlook Express, which
is part of Internet Explorer, the OE address book is not the same as the
Outlook Contacts (address book)

Old June 13th 07, 01:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Carmen O'Donnell wrote:

I need to uninstall Microsoft Outlook. Somehow it appears that there
are folder withing the Outlook directory when I got to "My Computer"
that don't look as tho they belong there and then there are some
folder that I have never used and don't know what they are for

Here's a document that lists files that may be installed with certain
versions of Office:
http://www.tripwire.com/products/ent...ements/pdf.pdf
All of the folders you mention appear normal to me.
--
Brian Tillman