scanpst.exe fails to repair file

Old March 20th 07, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Hurricane Andrew

Default scanpst.exe fails to repair file

I have a user who is running Outlook 2007 (RTM) and somehow her outlook.pst
file got corrupted. I have tried running scanpst.exe both on the file as it
sits on the server (we have redirected most user folders to the server), as
well as copying the file to the hard drive and trying to run scanpst on it
there. I've also tried the alternating scandisk/scanpst solution, which has
not yielded results either.

The process always fails at the same point, just after step 6 of 8
completes, with a dialog box that simply indicates that an error has occured
and the scan process failed to complete - no changes were made to the
original file.

The file is only 119MB, so it's not the 2GB issue, nor will that tool
truncate the file anyway since it's so small.

Is there anyway to fix this, any other steps I could possible take? Outlook
would not launch due to the corruption, so I have moved the corrupt pst to
another directory and created a new outlook.pst so that the user is at least
able to send and receive new e-mail, though all of her existing messages are
gone.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

Old March 20th 07, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
socrtwo

http://www.s2services.com/outlookfreeware.htm

Old March 20th 07, 10:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Why would you do this? You must know that placing PST files on network
drives is not supported, and that there is a good reason for it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old March 21st 07, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

Outlook needs read/write access to the PST file. You shouldn't keep it on a
network drive since any interruption to the connection can corrupt the file.
Move the file back to the local machine, close Outlook and run the utility.
--
Kathleen Orland
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

Old March 21st 07, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Hurricane Andrew

I already had tried that, but scanpst still fails. I even double-checked
the file permissions just to be sure.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE

Old March 30th 07, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Alan

Hi,

For your case, you may try our product Advanced Outlook Repair to
repair your PST file. It is a powerful tool to recover messages,
folders and other objects from corrupt or damaged Microsoft Outlook
PST files.

Please visit http://www.datanumen.com/aor/index.htm for detailed
information about Advanced Outlook Repair.

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Alan Chen
DataNumen, Inc. - World leader in data recovery technologies
Website: http://www.datanumen.com
Fax: +1-800-9917-FAX (US Toll-Free)

Old August 27th 11, 07:32 PM
steveharman steveharman is offline
Junior Member

If scanpst.exe is getting failed frequently to fix corrupt pst file then it implies scanpst.exe is either damaged or is infected so remove the existing one and get scanpst.exe download and after installing it run the tool and get the corrupt pst file fixed.