Receiving mail problem with" Enter Network Password" problem.

Old February 16th 07, 09:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Denzil

Default Receiving mail problem with" Enter Network Password" problem.

I got one lonely little reply to my earlier post on this topic, offering a
link to a Microsoft reference that was "not available." I can't receive mail
in Outlook 2003 on XP due to refusal of my (correct) Password by my mail
server - and a dialog box headed "Enter Network Password" keeps on appearing
over and over again, as long as Outlook (or Outlook Express) remains open.
The Network Password box that appears already has a correct User Name and
Password filled in!

I have closed and reopened my Outlook 2003 mail account, run Detect and
Repair, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2003, checked with my ISP
(everything AOK), and something else I'll tell you about in a minute.

Webmail is OK - receive and send. I can send on my POP3 in Outlook but don't
receive - to repeat, ostensibly due to refusal of my Password by the mail
server. Newsgroups are working perfectly, I'm set up with Outlook Express as
my newsgroup reader.

I was told, and got hold of an article, that my problem has been around for
years and is due to a faulty Password retained in XP's registry. I went in
and, with help, deleted the entry under the Protected Storage System
Provider. This advice then tells you to go on and re-enter your Password in
Outlook. Trouble is the Password is still there on opening and if you remove
the check mark to retain the password, the password box grays out. Anybody
know about this problem - more importantly, anybody got a solution to this
problem? Thanks, Denzil.

Old February 17th 07, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Is the server name correct? Are you using the correct authentication
methods? Are you using a spam or virus scanner on your mail? (if so, disable
them)

Do you need to authenticate to send? If so, the problem isn't with the pps
because it's working one way. If it fails in OE too, then it's not something
in OL and just having OE open should not cause OL to ask for a password.

What was the link your were given before?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old February 17th 07, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Denzil

"Denzil" wrote in message
[...]

======================

Diane, thanks for answering - I am grateful, few seem interested in my
problem, which as you point out may be a MS Windows problem only manifest by
symptoms in Outlook and Outlook Express. Is it because it is insolvable? It
seems to have been quite common in the past, although while I can find many
instances of it happening I have found no working solutions - except for the
guy that reinstalled Windows XP

To answer your questions point by point - the server name is correct and I
enter the correct User Name and Password properly, as I have done for years
with this ISP and previous versions of Outlook. Yes I do use viral detection
on mail (McAfee). Disabling it makes no difference. I do not have to
authenticate to send.

[BTW, I can send OK. I do not receive due to rejection of my Password by the
mail server. The suspicion is becoming that the Password retained by XP is
false. I have deleted in the registry the entry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider but
it keeps on coming back.]

FYI, With OL open I get the Enter Network Password box in ANY application
I'm in. It seems that OL continues to try and connect with my email server ,
because I have cable broadband Internet that is always on.

I didn't keep a record of the link to an MS Article that was "No Longer
Available."

I still have my problem with no hint of a solution after a week. I am going
to install Vista and MS Office 2007 when they come. I wonder if that'll
solve it. Regards, Denzil.

===================

Old February 17th 07, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nikki

Have you tried the following:

Clear your password cacheTo clear your password cache, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click User Accounts.
3. If your user account is in the Administrator group, follow these
steps: a. On the Advanced tab, click Manage Passwords.
b. Remove any .NET Passport-related entries.
c. Click Close, and then click OK.
If your user account is not a member of the Administrator group,
follow these steps: a. Click Manage my network passwords.
b. Remove any Passport-related entries.
c. Click Close, and then close User Accounts.

Nikki Peterson

Old February 25th 07, 12:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Mari

I have just purchased a new laptop, installed Office 2007 (no previous
software exists) and am working on XP pro.
I am ALSO and experienced user of Outlook and know how to set up
accounts--as it appears Denzil does also.

The inane responses to his mail don't seem to be particularly helpful,
although I admire his tact and diplomacy.

The reason I'm writing is that I too am experiencing the same lousy pop-up
window asking for the network password which although is configured correctly
IS not allowing mail in. The window is also popping up with other programs
(including this one when I hit "reply" for this thread!)

There is clearly a microsoft glitch in this one that requires a microsoft
fix!!

Since this is a new computer, I don't have a precedent to point to, but I
have done a few things prior to trying to receive mail--including downloading
Microsoft Defender. I now feel compelled to dump it, but have found in the
past that uninstalling and reinstalling software is the fastest way to taking
up tons of computer memory! I hate to begin this way.

I NEARLY bought the mac book -- may still do it....

What is the latest Microsoft slogan? "Trust us?" I'm trying!

Mary