Outlook 2007 / 2003: Error 0x800CCC81 - E-Mail address with "." before "@"

Old January 22nd 07, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephan Kuehn

Default Outlook 2007 / 2003: Error 0x800CCC81 - E-Mail address with "." before "@"

I´ve an e-mail address with a "." before the "@". For example

If I use Outlook 2007 / 2003 it is not possible to send an e-mail. I
got the Error Code 0x800CCC81.
Using another Mail-Address - all works fine.

I think the problem is, that this Mail-Address ist not RFC compliant -
Outlook doesn´t accept this sender.
Exist a posibility to disable the RFC compliant checking?

Many thank

Stephan

Old January 22nd 07, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

How did you manage to get a non-RFC compliant email address?
Does your address work (meaning can you get email) if you leave away the
dot?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

ps.com:

Old January 22nd 07, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephan Kuehn

How did you manage to get a non-RFC compliant email address?
A german mail provider (web.de) allows such mail addresses. I´ve been
using this address for a long time, so I don´t want to change my
address. Many E-Mail programms (for example Outlook Express,
Thunderbird) allow this address but not Outlook.

Does your address work (meaning can you get email) if you leave away the
dot?

No this doesn´t work.

Old January 23rd 07, 09:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Morten S.

Default Outlook 2007 / 2003: Error 0x800CCC81 - E-Mail address with "." be

Stephan, I have had my "firstname.lastname@domain" for years now. There is NO
PROBLEM with Outlook 2007 handling this. Something else is the problem.

m.

Old January 23rd 07, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Stephan Kuehn wrote:

I´ve an e-mail address with a "." before the "@". For example

If I use Outlook 2007 / 2003 it is not possible to send an e-mail. I
got the Error Code 0x800CCC81.
Using another Mail-Address - all works fine.

I think the problem is, that this Mail-Address ist not RFC compliant
- Outlook doesn´t accept this sender.
Exist a posibility to disable the RFC compliant checking?

Dots prior to the "@" are perfectly acceptable, according to the RFC. There
must be another reason.
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 23rd 07, 04:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephan Kuehn

Stephan, I have had my "firstname.lastname@domain" for years now. There is NO
PROBLEM with Outlook 2007 handling this. Something else is the problem.

You are right. Using an E-Mail Address with firstname.lastname@domain
is no problem.
But firstname.lastname.@domain doesn´t work. (dot directly before the
@)

Dots prior to the "@" are perfectly acceptable, according to the RFC. There
must be another reason.

The Mail address is definitly the problem. I´ve tested it in a test
environment.
Just try to send an E-Mail to the address and
you will see an error message - "format is incorrect".

Old January 23rd 07, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Stephan Kuehn wrote:

The Mail address is definitly the problem. I´ve tested it in a test
environment.
Just try to send an E-Mail to the address and
you will see an error message - "format is incorrect".

When you said there is a dot before the "@", i didn't take that to mean
_immediately_ before the "@". That is, indeed, a violation of RFC 2822,
which states:

An addr-spec is a specific Internet identifier that contains a
locally interpreted string followed by the at-sign character ("@",
ASCII value 64) followed by an Internet domain. The locally
interpreted string is either a quoted-string or a dot-atom. If the
string can be represented as a dot-atom (that is, it contains no
characters other than atext characters or "." surrounded by atext

Notice that while dots are allowed in the local part, they must have "atext"
on each side of them, where "atext" is one or more letters, digits, or
specific special characters. See http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2822.txt
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 24th 07, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephan Kuehn

Nice, that we speak now from the same thing :-)
I know, that this is a RFC violation.
So my question was:
Is there a posibility to disable the RFC checking? Other programs allow
such mail addresses (for example outlook express / thunderbird etc.)

Old January 24th 07, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Patrick Schmid [MVP]

AFAIK, there is no such option and why should there be? I'd suggest you
complain to web.de and get an RFC compliant email address. After all,
can you say with 100% certainty that email sent to this non compliant
address is actually properly transmitted by all Internet mail servers
and that everyone who might want to send you an email can do so (users
could be prevented from sending you email by their client programs or
their email servers)?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

oups.com:

Old January 24th 07, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Patrick Schmid [MVP] wrote:

AFAIK, there is no such option and why should there be? I'd suggest
you complain to web.de and get an RFC compliant email address.

That would be my suggestion as well. Simply because Outlook Express and
Thunderbird are not standards-compliant doesn't mean that Outlook should
match them, and if the OP wants to guarantee that won't ever be an issue, he
should get a compliant address.
--
Brian Tillman