Can anyone help with this prob?

Old November 25th 06, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Paul

Default Can anyone help with this prob?

Hi all, just relaying a prob someone is having
on a forum I visit. Any help wld be appreciated.

Thanx.

When I shut down OUTLOOK which is my default (and preferred) email client,
the computer often (but not always) crashes.

Specifically, there is a high pitched clicking noise followed by the
momentary appearance of a blue screen which lasts for less than a second and
certainly too briefly to actually read what is written on the screen, and
this is then followed by the computer shutting down completely and then
restarting on its own.

Following the restart the computer seems to work normally as does Outlook.

This does not happen every time I close Outlook but it occurs every second
or third time I use the program.
The only other malfunction in the computer that I have noticed is a slight
slowing in the boot time and Windows Explorer take slightly longer to load.

The computer is only seven months old and Runs Windows XP SP2 Fully updated.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 3800+, 2.0GB RAM, GeCube RADEON X800XL.

My copy of OUTLOOK is part of MS Office Student and Teacher 2003 and all the
other components of the suite work normally.

I am meticulous in trying to avoid Malware specifically I run:

NOD 32 with all shields active and updated daily. In addition I regularly
run on line virus scans at Trend Micro
Webroot Spy Sweeper active and set to scan daily.
I regularly scan my computer with updated versions of Ad-Aware SE Personal,

Spybot Search and Destroy, Ewido Anti Spyware, CWShredder, F-Secure
BlackLight and I have Spyware Blaster running in the background.

I have ZoneAlarm Free edition and I use a NAT enabled Router.

None of these programs has found any Malware.
At this point I am really at a loss as to how to address this problem.

As a result of previous recommendations from members of this board, I did in
fact turn off Auto Start and I am now able to read what is written on the
blue screen.

There is a message stating that the computer is shutting down in order to
prevent damage ETC. also some advice regarding ensuring that recently
installed Hardware and

Software is working properly.
All this is not really relevant to me since no new Hard or Soft ware has
been installed.

The part of the message that IS significant is as follows:
AN ATTEMPT WAS MADE TO WRITE TO READ ONLY MEMORY.

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0X000000BE (0X006F0044, 0X38C11025, 0xA6C89BA4, 0x0000000A)

On another occasion when the same computer crash occurred, the message was
somewhat different:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
***STOP: 0X0000000A (0X000000014, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X804F1322)

I have alo run Memtest 68 over a perion of 5 hours and NO errors in RAM have
been noted.

Previously a repair install of OUTLOOK seemed to fix the problem but it has
now resurfased in exactly the same way.

I would greatly appreciate some further suggestions since I would hate to
have to stop using Outlook.
__________________
WINDOWS XP SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+; 2.0GB RAM;
GeCube RADEON X800XL; 200GB HDD

Old November 26th 06, 03:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

1. All these programs are overkill. One AV/antispyware is enough.

NOD 32 with all shields active and updated daily. In addition I regularly
run on line virus scans at Trend Micro
Webroot Spy Sweeper active and set to scan daily.
I regularly scan my computer with updated versions of Ad-Aware SE
Personal,

Spybot Search and Destroy, Ewido Anti Spyware, CWShredder, F-Secure
BlackLight and I have Spyware Blaster running in the background.

2. BSOD generally means driver error. Is there anything in the event log.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]