open pst file?

Old January 17th 06, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jorgezayas2

Default open pst file?

I received an email on outlook and saved it to a file in my docs to review
later. Now, I tried to open a pst file in the email and was given a message
that there is no program available to open it, or something to that effect.
I have gone to the office website--no info. I read the discussion postings
here and the closest one seems to suggest a solution through explorer
somehow. I am not versed in these issues. It would seem there would be a
built-in solution for this but apparently not. I am stuck!
Old January 17th 06, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jon LaBarge

You have to use your email client to import a PST file. Go to FILEIMPORT
AND EXPORT and then select IMPORT FROM A PST FILE. Browse to the location of
the pst file and select it.

Jon

Old January 17th 06, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

In ,
jorgezayas2 typed:
I received an email on outlook and saved it to a file in my docs to
review later. Now, I tried to open a pst file in the email and was
given a message that there is no program available to open it, or
something to that effect. I have gone to the office website--no info.
I read the discussion postings here and the closest one seems to
suggest a solution through explorer somehow. I am not versed in
these issues. It would seem there would be a built-in solution for
this but apparently not. I am stuck!

Save the PST file attachment to disk, and then use File | Open | ....in
Outlook to open the file (browse to it). You cannot double-click a PST file
to open it.

Don't import anything - if you need stuff from this file, you can copy it to
your main PST file when you have both open.

Old January 17th 06, 06:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
jorgezayas2

Thank you for responding. I tried your instructions. Once I am to select it
gives me two options: my email address, or Archive file. I tried each
option. I do not see any change in my folders in the oulook program so,
apparently, nothing was saved into the program. I have not tried to go to my
email program to see if it went there but I did not notice any send/receive
function occurring so I doubt it sent it to my email address. But, at least,
I believe I will know what to do the next time.

Old January 17th 06, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

jorgezayas2 wrote:

I received an email on outlook and saved it to a file in my docs to
review later. Now, I tried to open a pst file in the email and was
given a message that there is no program available to open it, or
something to that effect.

Do you mean that someone mailed you a message with a PST attached? Save the
PST to disk, then click FileOpenOutlook Data File to open it. Do NOT
listed to anyone who tells you to "import".
--
Brian Tillman

Old January 17th 06, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

YOu must have Outlook to read any .pst file information. Do you?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, jorgezayas2 asked: